Author Topic: traveling east to west on I 10 in late December and early January  (Read 4476 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Hi I am looking to plan a trip and I am not familiar with I 10. Is this road reliably passable during this time of year FL to AZ? Snow? I know it is south but I don't know if any mountain passes, volcanos earthquakes etc. I would suspect it would be OK but I figured I would ask. I have been known to be wrong before!

Thanks for any input.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

John Moore

Re: traveling east to west on I 10 in late December and early January
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
A great road and you should not have any trouble except for I keep a close eye on ice storms they can be a problem that time of the year. Also look for  Buckhorn RV outside Kerrville Texas is a nice place to stay, have a nice trip
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Bart Mix

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
Hi Jim!
We frequently travel from VA to AZ each winter. We have traveled on I-10 but mostly travel I-20 to El Paso & pick up I-10 there to Tucson. Going from Tucson to Bull Head City, AZ we by-pass Phoenix by taking Route 8 south of Phoenix & then back up to I-10 west of Phoenix. Like most interstates several places of construction but generally OK. Fuel reasonably priced along the way & we use Gas Buddy in advance to plan our fuel stops.
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks, the plan is to go from NH to FL to see some family then head west for quartzite and on to CA for the winter. I will look at your suggestion for the return. We will need to be back in NH for late March early April. 
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Bart Mix

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:42:46 AM »
Jim - for our return from out west from Laughlin in March-April, we normally come back via I-40 to I-44 to I-64/I-81. We call this the central route as during this time of the year no ice or snow under normal conditions. Traveling routes north of this during March - April can still bring some icy surprises.
Bart from VA

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 04:41:52 AM »
Jim,
You can't avoid Houston so try to hit it in non-rush hour time slots. San Antonio is similar but you can avoid it by exiting at Seguin on to TX 46 and take it over to Boerne TX on I10 NW of San Antonio. Road is 2 lane but good. Agree re Buckhorn in Kerrville. If it's full, Guadalupe River RV Park is also very good. Just head to Kerrville on Goat Creek Rd (same rd Buckhorn is on) and turn right at main drag. Nice place. Also, Billie Jeans is good place for grub.
Enjoy. Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp