Author Topic: GPS  (Read 4249 times)

Allen Hughes

GPS
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
There are several earlier posts (2015) regarding GPS systems on the forum. 2 years brings a lot of changes in technology. I would like to hear from those who have made recent GPS purchases and how they are working or not. Thanks!

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:07:18 AM »
Allen,  We purchased the Rand McNally from camping world in April, very user friendly I believe the model 7735. we also purchased the sand bag mount, very happy.  lots of extras.
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:08:41 AM »
Allen, we recently purchased the Garmin 770 DEZL 7 inch truckers GPS from a, Pilot fuel stop. We tried the new Magellan and the Rand McNally from Camping World but did like them as well. Admittedly, we were use to the Garmin format. The trucker Garvin routes your vehicle based upon the size of your tractor and trailer ( tow car ). It's only draw back is that it not as easy reserching shopping locations but great with everything else. I did not ivestigate the new Rand McNally tablet GPS at Camping World as it looks interesting. Hope this helps
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:27:46 AM »
Allen,
I have a Magellan 7" Roadmate, I forget the exact model number right now but I've had it for about 4 years. We bought it at the Quartzsite RV show when we first joine the Beaver Club. I am ready to replace it, and I think I'm going to go with the Rand McNally 7730 LM RV GPS that has lifetime map updates. The Magellan has taken us on some routes that you really wouldn't want to be on with a Motohome despite the function that you can enter the vehicles height, weight, etc. On the Rand McNally web site you can setup trips and get directions there. Rand McNally also has a tablet with a built in dash cam. The BAC Amazon page also has these.

Cheers!
Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
Allen
We decided on a different approach.  We have a tablet that uses Verizon and gives us maps with sattelite views.  There are a couple of APs that take care of the routing issues like steep grades or low overpasses.  The DW does all the navigating.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!