Author Topic: windshield wiper post  (Read 6940 times)

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
windshield wiper post
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »
I have a 2006 Beaver Marquis. Need to replace drivers wiper post.  Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.  Thanks and Thanks for the FORUM.  Am using RainX now.
Bobby Kirk.
2006 Marquis
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: windshield wiper post
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:42:07 AM »
Bobby,
If the post has very shallow grooves, suggest you replace it with a standard deeper grooved spline that will accept standard wiper arms. Not sure this is the case on your 06, but my 07 has the shallow grooved post. Net is that you can't take the wiper arm off w/o having to replace it since it uses a compression fit and once it's tightened down the arm can't be re-tightened. If they strip you have to replace the arm. Additionally the arms are not available (at least I couldn't find them) at a parts store. Monaco wanted ~$200 per. If you are not sure, call Monaco and ask about the wiper arms.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Joe Rhea

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:19:00 AM »
http://www.amequipment.com/
They supplied Monaco with the wiper systems
Good luck
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Stan Simpson, Bobby Kirk

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
Bobby, if you replace the wiper post remember to torque the wiper arm to 20 pounds. Sometimes you can clean the posts and retorque the arms depending on the degree of degradation of the wipers arm spline.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: Bobby Kirk

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »
Thanks to all for your advice 

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
Had a call from Joel Donaldson (Hope I got that name correct) he said to get new star lock washers put one behind the wiper arm on the post. I took a deep 7/16 socket and folded lock washer over post. Put arm back on and new washer behind nut and torked down. So far has worked will keep my fingers crossed. Joel said he did that fix 5 yrs ago and has worked since. Will report later. Thanks for all the advice.

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 12:49:30 AM »
drove in lots of rain today and wipers worked well.  seems like this is a god fix.
2006 Marquis

Dan Murphy

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
Bobby

Here again the "fix" you have found on this forum has once again proved the value our our Beaver forum!!

I had the wiper arm problem in Arizona a couple years back and the local shop we used told us there was no fix but to order a complete wiper assembly from AM Equipment and replace the entire thing. That was about $700 plus labor.

You live and learn I guess----- and with this forum you can find some real good help!!

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »
Just had a similar incident on my 08 Thunder.  Both of the wiper blades had always been misaligned, coming down too far on the windshield and over the gasket.  I was at Smokey Mountain Coach Works in Sevierville earlier this month having a new sat. dish installed and asked if he could adjust them for me, which he did.  I am on my way to Ottawa to join the BAC Maritime rally, ran into some rain today for the first time since the adjustment and after several wipes, the drivers side suddenly stuck next to the mirror.  Fortunately it stopped raining soon after and when I got into the park I was going to stay at, I removed the arm to find it stripped.  I suspect the other arm will be doing the same.  If I understand the fix correctly, with the wiper are off, you place a star washer over the splined shaft coming thru the firewall, bend the "star" sections against the shaft then replace the arm and reinstall the flat washer and locknut.  Can I assume that the "star" sections are bent toward the coach and how far back on the spine does the washer fit?  Any clarification or other suggestions would be appreciated.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
Norm I used a 7/16 deep socket and tapped with hammer and folded star washer back as far as it would go . Yes bend the star back towards firewall. It has worked for me so far good luck.

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »
Bobby,
The shaft is tapered, do you know what size star washer you used or how far back to was on the shaft?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »
Norm i baught the same size that was behind the nut. I put it back as far as it would go and used the socket to fold it back on the tapered shaft. Hope it works for you.

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis