Author Topic: Inverter/Converter  (Read 4301 times)

Thomas James

Inverter/Converter
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »
Hello everyone. I couldn't find this topic listed(and I scrolled thru several pages), so I thought I'd just ask.....I have a 94 Patriot Yorktown. It has a Heart Interface Freedom 2000w inverter/converter. The inverter part does not work-bad board-Alot of black all over it. Anyway, I've been told by a few RV repair folks that those are junk, and that there are much better ones out there. OK, so here's my question(one of them)....If I'm going to be plugged in or running my generator do I really need one? I purchased a Duel Pro 30amp three bank battery charger, and it plugs in right around the corner in the engine compartment. So, that is taken care of. Also my Solar panels work as well. Also there are Lots of different ones out there. Some made in china, taiwan, And in the USA. Is there one that stands out above the others? I prefer USA made if possible. I know there is Exeltech. But they seem to be Very proud of their stuff. The inverter store has AIMS-made in china, but reviews are pretty good. I guess I just need a push in the right direction. This is my very first RV of any kind, and I want this thing to be Right, what ever it takes. Thanks alot for any and all input. It IS very much appreciated. Later,

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Inverter/Converter
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
IIRC, the Heart inverter became the Freedom inverter, which became Xantrex, who is still out there. Last summer our coach was hit by lightening, the result being a fried Freedom inverter. We were going to switch to a Magnum, which seems to be the brand of choice for replacement on this forum. Most folks also switch from modified sine wave to pure sine wave, the primary reason being to run a residential refrigerator. We ended up going with a 3000 pure sine wave, the decision coming down to its ability to plug and play with the same bracket and wiring as the old one. And our service shop had one in stock.  8) The learning curve is steep, at least for me. I still don't have the auto-start on the generator programmed. I simply cannot make heads or tail of the instructions. (I'm a step 1, step 2 type when it comes to electronics) The support folks for Xantrex are less than stellar.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »
My previous coach, a 2000 PT had a Freedom 2000 that was fried by a voltage spike and I replaced it with a Magmun 2000 W PSW.  Pretty much a drop in replacement that worked great.  Much better unit that the Freedom.

Thomas James

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »
Hey, thanks alot Stan. I've just been looking around this morning, and I'm leaning toward the Go Power 2000w inverter/converter. It's made in North America(Canada). So, at least it's not china(lol). I saw the Magnum as well. The price is a little steep, but it seems to be a very good product. The Go Power also has a 3 year warranty also. Most I've found only have a 2 year. I think the Magnum has a 5 year, but haven't researched the company much. I really do appreciate the response. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this myself. And who knows, I may change my mind on which one to purchase 3 or 4 more times. Bottom line....I'm just not sure of what I'm doing. Anyway, thanks.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »
Thomas
The purpose of this forum is to share information and help others to avoid repeating difficulties that have been experienced by other members.  No one knows all the answers. 
The inverter pulls power from the batteries to make 110.  It does this not only when there is no 110 but can add to existing 110 when there is demand greater than shore power supplies. 
In 1994 the demand for power for sensitive electronics was lower than today and further, today's electronics  (computers, phones , TVS etc.) Are sensitive to power variations.  This is why we generally go to a full sine wave inverter. 
The charger side provides power to12V systems as well as charging and maintaining the batteries without overcharging and causing damage.
In short, the inverter is the heart of many systems and the more dependable and stable it is the better.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
Mr. James - This thread pretty much tells all about my experience changing out a bad inverter/charger.  It was December 2015 and into January 2016.  You may have read the thread.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5273.msg39479.html#msg39479

I had a Xantrex and elected to replace it stay with a new Xantrex Freedom 3000 watt Pure sine wave inverter/charger.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Thomas James

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »
Thanks for the info David. I know that my board if fried. I also know that those boards are VERY expensive. And given the track record of the Heart Interface Freedom 20(or whatever they call themselves now), I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to R&R it. I just need to decide on which one. I really do like what this Go Power brand offers and such. I just don't know much about them at all. There are so many out there that it's really hard to decide. Especially if you're like me, and brand new to this game. Again, appreciate the response. Thank you.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »
Mr. James - This thread pretty much tells all about my experience changing out a bad inverter/charger.  It was December 2015 and into January 2016.  You may have read the thread.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5273.msg39479.html#msg39479

I had a Xantrex and elected to replace it stay with a new Xantrex Freedom 3000 watt Pure sine wave inverter/charger.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious David. Do you have yours programmed to auto-start the generator in the event batteries get low? If so, perhaps you'd be willing to walk me through doing it on mine. I don't understand the lingo, and even if I did, I don't understand electricity very well. At least it's not rote for me like the engineers, etc. on here.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad