Author Topic: Looking to upgrade our TV sound system  (Read 2438 times)

Bill Staley

Looking to upgrade our TV sound system
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:04:02 PM »
We recently purchased an '05 Patriot Thunder Richmond 42'.  The previous owner replaced the front TV with an LED one and as best I can tell disconnected the sound system.  Where might the amp for the sound be located?  I've looked in the cabinets and in the electrical bay.  Also have not found anyplace where the speaker wires seem to end where they might have previously been attached to and amp.  There is an electronics cabinet above the passenger seat where the vcr was located.

First of a few projects.  Next is replacing the backup camera.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Looking to upgrade our TV sound system
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »
This past winter while in Yuma we had a mobile tech come by the RV to fix a few things.  One of those things was our front room Bose had not been working for a few years.  Anyways, in the process of trying to locate the Bose black boxes, he found the large Bose box under the fore end of the kitchen countertop.  That may be what you are looking for - don't know if that's where yours may be.  Take a look there.

We are considering having our broken Bose removed too, and replaced with a new, more modern sound system.  I'll be interested in what you find and install.  BTW, the Bose in the bedroom works but we rarely use it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:38:48 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
We have am '05 Monterey. Electronics cabinet above the PAX seat is where to amp would/should have been. Most likely pre owner tossed. Old Sony system. We use a sound bar for front tv which we put in the electronics cabinet. Rear TV we use the TV sound as it's good enough to put us to sleep. You can buy a decent sound bar for around $150. I suggest you buy the same brand as your TV so the same remotes will operate both. Woofer lives under driver seat left side.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »
David, I think the box you speak of is just the sub-woofer, which on ours is in the middle cabinet under the dinette/buffet.

For many coaches of our era, Bill, the amplifier was part of a DVD/CD changer unit.  When your previous owner switched to a modern digital-tunered TV, he likely tossed that unit as, similar to our Sony removed by Jim Sizemore (RV Outfitters), amps back then lacked HDMI ports.  Exactly what amp might have replaced yours is hard to say, but shouldn't be too far from the cabinet Jeff refers to, since all the Bose speaker wires terminate there. 

After some research, I had Jim put in a Sony BDV-E3100 blue-Ray home theater, but just the main unit.  The amp is part of that new Sony blue-Ray home theater unit.  The speakers that came with it I store for some possible other use at home since the existing Bose ones are fine;  nothing was to be gained from the added cost of such a speaker retrofit.  I may use the Sony speakers in a room at home together with one of the old analog TVs and DVD/CD player.   

So I'd expect you need to fish through the snake pit in the overhead VCR cabinet for your elusive wires.  They could have been stuffed way back behind, in the void between there and the front cap.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jeffprupis

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:35:28 AM »
The surround sound speaker wires (terminal block) also can be found under the dash access panel.