Author Topic: External Satelite connection  (Read 4745 times)

tomchase

External Satelite connection
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
Just purchased a King portable satellite and tried to connect it to the satellite connection next to the cable connection in the dump control bay. Unable to get a picture as it would not connect to the direct tv box. When we connect the coax from the King to the back of the direct tv box the system works. Any ideas why the system will not work when I connect the coax from the King to the outside satellite connection next to the cable connection?

Thank you
Tom and Jo Ann
'05 Beaver Marquis - 40ft

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
Re: External Satelite connection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
I experienced the same thing on our Contessa and came to find out on many coaches this was not wired at the factory.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »
Same as with my tailgater from dish. The coax has to go directly to the receiver as the power for the satellite comes from the coax from receiver. It has to be a direct connection.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
If memory serves, doesn't the TV cable from the LNBs on the satellite dish have to not only be a direct connection to the receiver, but also a RG-6 type cable?  The RG-6 cable is double shielded and has a larger wire that carries the signal.  I think from the receiver to the TVs the cable can be a "smaller" cable like a RG-59 or the HDMI cable.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Richard McQuillan

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »
As others have suggested, the connector in the "dump bay" labeled "satellite" is not connected to your Direct TV receiver. I have found the simplest way to connect to my King antenna is to string  RG-6 coax from the back of the receiver, out the window to the antenna. Its a bit "Rube Goldbeg" but it works. If you want HD channels then you need two coax cables between the receiver and the antenna. 
Dick McQuillan
2004 38' Monterey Huntington

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
When we had our Monterey I "repurposed" the cable wire.   My first attempt was to put an "A-B" switch in the electronics compartment.  It appeared that the extra voltage needed to run the LNB caused the switch to burn out.  A trip to Radio Shack provided some coax "quick connectors".    I moved the cables around to make the connections easy.  I could quickly change from using the wire for park cable or the external DirecTV antenna.   Whatever cable Beaver used was sufficient.   I never used the HD services, so one cable was enough.