Author Topic: Transmisson over full  (Read 4233 times)

Joe Rhea

Transmisson over full
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
During our recent trip to the Northwest we experienced two mechanical problems. First the ABS and ATC lights came on on our way into Yellowstone. At first we did not see any adverse effect. Before we made it through we were having problems with the transmission shifting up from 3rd to 6th. It was like it was jumping in and out of gear.The closest Allison Rep we could find was in Rapid City SD that would work on the coach.
The first issue was to address the ABS problem. The mechanic could not get the ECM to talk to the computer so it was condemned. The whole time saying that this could be causing the shifting problem or surging. Almost 2 weeks later the ABS?ATC was corrected ( broken wire on rear wheel ), still have transmission problems. The were no codes in ECM on the transmission or engine. The fluid was checked with the dip stick instead of electronically. With the unit hot it was about 2 qt's over full. This was drained off, gauges hooked up to measure pump pressure. We drove the coach and no shifting problems. To make a long story short after several trial and error checks and a lot of man hours this solved the problem. I don't understand why this would have been the problem. We drove the coach about 8K since the transmission was serviced however it wasn't in the Rocky's.
Perhaps someone can explain the problem or do I still have a gremlin in the background. I would like to thank Dave and Jim Edwards for the support and information.
Point of interest the ECM's for the transmission and engine are located under the shiftier panel. The electronic oil check will tell you if you are low not over full.       
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone, Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Re: Transmisson over full
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
Hi Joe When we spoke you had also mentioned a "hard downshift" from 5L to 4L when under high load. (aka Mountain climbing) Did the did the transmission fluid level correct this as well? This is the problem, if it is a problem, that I have that I thought you mentioned you had as well.
Any other comments welcome.
Thanks Jim
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:37:09 PM by Jim Edwards »
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Joe Rhea

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Hard shift from 5th to 4th was not as apparent as before however we have not seen the grades since leaving SD. I did talk with Dave about the issue and He recommended a soft shift calibration be done, the hard shift was designed for heaver loads than what we are pulling. To me I would associate it with a race car. When you shift gears you want it be pulling instantly no slippage.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
I checked my transmission fluid yesterday and noticed that is appears over full on the dip stick.  It registers as "OK" when I check it on the shifter panel.  Usually I only use the shifter as it has been noted many times that it is the most accurate method. Is it verified that the panel will not indicate if you are over full, only under?  Thanks.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
Jerry, your Allison control panel will indicate an overfill and does,so by using "hi" and then the number of quarts too high.
FYI
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Joe Rhea

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 12:29:30 AM »
I will have to apologize for my statement on the oil level sensor. I was going off of what the Allison tech told me instead of reading the book. How ever my sensor was saying OK on the oil level. I will have to investigate the problem further. How ever my oil level checks will be with the dip stick in the future.