Author Topic: Mystery Hot and Cold Knobs  (Read 7397 times)

Andrew Bruemmer

• BAC Member
Mystery Hot and Cold Knobs
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:42:57 AM »
Can someone tell me what the silver hot and cold knob in the image control?  This is in the water control bay on a 2002 Contessa.  I thought it would be the sprayer but that works no matter if the knobs are on or off.  Could be it should control the sprayer and isn't working right but wanted to check before I add that to my list of things to fix. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:57:34 AM by Andrew Bruemmer »
2002 Beaver Contessa 40 Tuscany - 3 slides
Cummins ISL 370
2012 Chevy Equinox Toad
Blue OX Avail tow bar
SMI Air Force One

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Mystery Hot and Cold Knobs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
Andrew
Not sure if you refer to the low point drains which are hot and cold, or the faucet shown in the picture.  The faucet should control the sprayer I believe.  Try removing the head of the sprayer and then turning on the faucet.  Those sprayers can get pretty plugged up but it should work without the head.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Bruemmer

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
Andrew,
The handles should control water to the sprayer.  If you take the panel loose, you can see behind it and the sprayer should be connected to the pipe going back into the water bay.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
I have a 2001 Contessa. The faucet knobs control the outside shower sprayer.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Tom Blad

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
Andrew,

That faucet does indeed control water flow to the sprayer. On my coach if the handles are in an off position there can be no water flow to the sprayer head.  By opening the hot side you will get hot water at the sprayer and cold for the cold side. I just replaced/repaired my faucet due to a crack which would leak badly whenever either hot or cold side was opened. Was unable to find an original replacement so I was able to seal the crack. Hope it holds up. If the crack reopens it will leak only if either hot or cold side is opened. Would not cause an unnoticed leak, so I'm not too worried. Also if yours is plummed like mine the black and gray dump valves are located behind the panel. If your valves are old or suspect now would be the time to replace them as removing and recaulking the panel is a time consuming job.

Tom

2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
    Hi Andrew,
Here is another consideration. The knobs on the faucet are supposed to be open in order to temper the water flow at the sprayer. Here is the issue: If the knobs are both left open, it allows the cold water to mix with the hot water and you get lukewarm water to the shower and vanity. You are not aware that the faucet knobs were left open because there is no water flow unless the sprayer is used. Perhaps someone has re-plumbed the output to your sprayer? I had a customer change the thermostat on his water heater which he thought was the problem but did not solve the lukewarm water in the shower. He finally drove 250 miles to see me and all I did was open his water bay door and turn off the knobs to the sprayer faucet and instant hot water in the shower!
 Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Andrew Bruemmer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 12:06:23 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I'll add that to my list.  Right now it appears the handles are both off yet the sprayer will work.  I probably will just open up that panel to see what's what back there.
Cummins ISL 370
2012 Chevy Equinox Toad
Blue OX Avail tow bar
SMI Air Force One

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
My outside shower was smarter than I am for awhile.  The faucets do not close the way I thought they should and I was having the cold shower issue.  I finally found that the cold water faucet had to be turned clock wise (off) and very carefully as someone had stripped the valve stem.  The hot water faucet had to be turned counter clockwise to turn it off.  I'm a slow learner so it took awhile to figure them out. I have seen that a few times before but not often.
Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Andrew Bruemmer

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 07:16:01 AM »
My outside shower was smarter than I am for awhile.  The faucets do not close the way I thought they should

I was just coming back to update that I had figured out the issue this weekend and laughed at seeing your post.  This was the problem!  The hot water knob was actually on when I thought it was off.  doh
Cummins ISL 370
2012 Chevy Equinox Toad
Blue OX Avail tow bar
SMI Air Force One

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
My outside shower was smarter than I am for awhile.  The faucets do not close the way I thought they should

I was just coming back to update that I had figured out the issue this weekend and laughed at seeing your post.  This was the problem!  The hot water knob was actually on when I thought it was off.  doh

Glad you figured it out.  My coach is a lesson learned almost every day.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH