Author Topic: Emergency Exit  (Read 5741 times)

Thomas James

Emergency Exit
« on: July 02, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
Hello everyone. My wife just brought this up, and I started researching.....Do I/we even have an emergency exit on our coach!? It's currently in the shop now, so I can't go and look. But, I don't remember seeing any "red handles" on windows or emergency exit signs or info tags/stickers anywhere. There's nothing in the owners manual either. Common sense says go to the furthest end of the coach from where the hazard is, and open/climb out a window. But you would think that would be on page one in great big letters in the owners manual. Anyway, I was just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help/advise.

Gerald Farris

Re: Emergency Exit
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
Tom,
Your coach has 2 windows that are designated as emergency exits. One is in the living room area and the other one is in the bedroom. You should check them for functionality (no stuck seals or jammed/broken latches) at least once a year.

Gerald

The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray

Thomas James

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »
Thank you Gerald. Like I said, it's not here, and I don't remember seeing an Emergency exit sign or anything. But when she gets back home I will DEF check this out. Appreciate it a bunch. Later,

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »
Tom,
Your coach has 2 windows that are designated as emergency exits. One is in the living room area and the other one is in the bedroom. You should check them for functionality (no stuck seals or jammed/broken latches) at least once a year.

Gerald 

Do these emergency windows fall out on the ground when opened? i want to make sure they are functional, should have done it years ago.....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »
There are several designs for emergency escape windows, and none that I know of are designed to just fall out on the ground, but you should look at your window to be sure how it is made before opening it if you are in doubt.

The most common design in later model coaches is to just slide open wide enough for someone to exit through the opening, but this design requires a large window that was not common in older model coaches. In coaches that have windows that are too small to safely use an open window as an exit, the entire window is released by a handle (that is usually red), to swing out from a hinge across the top of the window. Everyone should look at their window design to determine its feasibility in escaping the coach in an emergency. If age, weight, or a disability make it impossible for you to use it, there are aids available like emergency ladders.

The common problem with emergency windows is that if they are not ever opened, especially the ones where the window swings out from an upper hinge, they stick to the weather-stripping and can become unusable. So it is best to check them occasionally. 

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray, LaMonte Monnell

William Jordan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »
Mac the fire guy has a series of great videos on his webpage    http://macthefireguy.com/
That demonstrate not only how to open, but how to use them when you have seconds to get out in a panic situation
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray, LaMonte Monnell