Author Topic: Generator as outside power source  (Read 2988 times)

Jeff Watt

Generator as outside power source
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »
I'm just wondering if it is possible to configure the generator to be able to power, on a short term basis, some of the needs of a house?

I don't presume to know electrical, but can a junction box (?) be installed say just before the coach transfer switch and from this box a cable where a cord from the house can be plugged into to provide some power, i.e. keep fridge/freezers going, possibly whatever else a 10kw generator can provide.

I've had a few power outages in the past and there most likely will be some in the future.

May never do it, but I'm curious if it is possible. I guess the same scenario for those who have a big trailer that needs power.

Jeff

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Generator as outside power source
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:03:21 AM »
Jeff
Your 07 should have p,entiful 110 outlets in the basement.  Ours even has one in the wet bay.  I coild easily run an extension cord through the ppening in the floor and still close the bay door.  That extension could then supply power to the house.
A caution though.  Use only contractor grade outside extension cords.  Nothing lighter than 12 or 10 guage because the length of a cord creats resistance which decreases power to the useable end and increases heat.  A 12 guage cord can run 100 feet with very little power loss.
Also, dont try to hook the cord or anynoutside power directly into your service panel on the house.  The power feede backward up to the pole and can kill a lineman.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:33:15 AM »
My son is a certified millwright and has nearly completed his electrician certification.  He bought an 8kw portable generator and wired a connection into his house for when the neighborhood loses power.  I know he installed a manual transfer switch in his house... probably near the panel box.

I can see no reason why an electrician couldn't do the same by using our coach's Onan generator for the power source.  You would need to know where on the Onan to capture the power and use large wires... depending upon how far away from the house connection the Onan is.

I am not an electrician, so I wouldn't do the work.  I would have a qualified electrician do it.

My son said it's pretty nice sitting in his house when the power goes out.  His fridge and freezer work, the lights all work, the TVs work, etc., and the rest of the neighborhood's houses are all black.  He just needs to be careful not to exceed his generator's capability... as you would.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:42:18 AM »
Back in 2010 a micro-burst hit our house along with a neighbor, and combined we lost 14 trees.

We were without power for 7 straight days, because one of the falling trees wiped out a transformer that was at the corner of where our lots met in the back, which had a severely overgrown easement, and it had to be cleared before Com Ed would do anything.

I ran the generator continuously for all 7 days. Used a 10 gauge extension cord to run to a power bar in the house..for the refrigerator, modem, TV, and coffee pot. I ran a second one to my neighbor and he powered the same things, plus his land line. Used about 1/8 of a tank of diesel fuel, and never missed a beat. Our Beaver has 4 110 outlets in the bay, but we have installed an aftermarket central vac that is using one of them.

The picture shows a pine tree that was snapped off and hit the roof, wiping out a chimney, and ramming a branch through the shingles in to the interior of the garage.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:48:19 AM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 03:00:57 AM »
Congrats Dave, on having a millwright/electrician in the family.  My brother in law was a millwright for Wayerhaueser, and I can't tell you how many times he helped fix or engineer something for us on the farm, or designed and built something for our RV's, or at least told me how.

I'm with Keith on this, Jeff.  I've been happy to have our coach(s) right next to the house for 22 years, as I've always known in a long-term outage I could always tap into the genset for at least our large freezer's sake if nothing else.  Any other seriously needed 110v appliance could easily tap in as needed also.  A size 12 yellow cord would minimize voltage drop, size 10 (if it can be found) for 100ft or more, but don't load too many amps at any one time. 

Just use one of the bay outlets;  I spose since there are two Hot lines, one could use different heavy cords, one from each line, like one from a lighting circuit and one wherever from the fridge or perhaps the vacuum outlet.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:07:32 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »
There are a number of 120v plugs in the bays on my coach - so yes I can run some good extensions if need be. I was thinking of a more substantial heavy duty modification. I know of a Newmar that has a plug from the generator to power a stacker trailer. Thought the same principle for a house. Still will most likely never use it.

Last summer power was out for about 24 hours; Coach generator was no use as the coach was in the shed which has a power bi-fold door with no manual opening mechanism.  :-\ So a planned power outage can be dealt with, but if the coach is inside and the power goes out well......  May have to figure out a way to vent the exhaust outside then I could run a couple of cords or figure out how to power the door as the house is 100ft from the shed.

Jeff