Author Topic: Air Conditioner Problem  (Read 7421 times)

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
Air Conditioner Problem
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
We have a 2006 Beaver Monterey with the original roof A/C units. Recently, the front A/C unit stopped blowing cold air. The fan runs, but only blows warm air. Every couple minutes, we can hear the compressor attempt to start, but never succeeds. I did a visual of the roof unit and the capacitor “looks ok” (if visual inspection means anything). We are in the Seattle area, and considering swinging by Brazel’s to have them take a look (or, is there another place that you'd recommend?).

The existing unit is a combination A/C and heat pump (I believe the original model was Dometic 630516.321). Has anyone replaced their A/C unit, and if so, which model would you recommend? Also, will it work with the existing thermostat?

Thanks,
Larry
Larry & Pat
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica IV
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Larry Azus

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Air Conditioner Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
Larry
I know the folks at Brazil's well and they do great work on chassis stuff.   I have seen them replace A/C units though never for us.  I am sure you can count on them.  That said I know the managers of the RV park there and they just told us that a Brazil's is very busy so you might want to call the shop first.
We have a similar problem so let the forum know what you find out.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:56:44 AM »
David - thanks for the links. That is very helpful. Your A/C replacement price of $1,789 seem reasonable.

Keith- thanks for your input as well. We swung by Brazel's today as it was on our way back home. They took a look at the unit and confirmed that the compressor is bad. Consequently, it requires a new A/C unit which they priced at $2,223 ($1848 parts + $375 labor). This seems a bit high - especially as compared to David's replacement unit at $1,789. They don't have one on hand and we need to head back home this weekend - so we're considering our options...

Larry
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:00:19 AM by Larry Azus »
Larry & Pat
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:13:38 AM »
I just had my Dometic front air top ducted unit replaced for $1187 by a mobile mechanic.

Mine isn't a heat pump unit though, so that may be the difference.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerald Cate

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 03:00:21 AM »
Larry,

One of the very few things I would ever consider using Camping World for is replacement of a roof air conditioner.  I have not used them I'm just throwing this out as an option but it's pretty hard to screw up that simple of an installation.  If I wasn't so old, fat, and lazy I'd do it myself.  Your chance of having a unit in stock are much greater than many RV dealers and their price for a Penguin II w/heat pump is less than $1300 online plus installation.  For comparison I paid over $2200 installed at Iron Horse RV in San Antonio, I thought that was a little steep.

Bruce

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:18:08 AM »
The cost for my Penguin II air conditioner/heat pump (a/c-h/p) replacement was $1,309.00 plus the required electrical distributor modification at $280 plus installation at $200.00...   total $1,789.00.

The modification was required because the one bedroom thermostat runs all the heating and cooling for both the bathroom and bedroom, which includes a furnace and a/c-h/p unit in each location.  It sounds like something had to be added or modified in the new a/c-h/p unit so the one thermostat could identify the units from each other, I don't know.

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 05:06:36 AM »
Larry:

We have 36' 2005 Monterey that we just replaced the orig build front Dometic Penguin AC, model 630516.321.  In 11 yrs of owning the coach, we had not used the heat pump features on the roof ACs since we felt that the heat pumps provided little heat for the overall fan noise generated.   We instead have used a quiet portable electric oscillating heater to take the chill off in the mornings, so for us, the replacement AC unit needed only to be cooling only.

On our Monterey, we have 2 roof AC units, which I believe you also do, each AC was controlled by a single zone orig analog Dometic CCC 5 button thermostat: one for the front & kitchen AC and the other for the bath & bed AC.

5 weeks ago, we replaced the front ceiling unit.   I contacted Dometic Customer Service multiple times to verify the that the new Penguin II AC unit and required new digital single zone LCD thermostat would be a drop fit into the existing ducted system, work seamless with the Hydrohot, and able to use the same in wall wire cable as the orig 630516s in order to make the new install quicker and cheaper 
We choose:

- Dometic 641916CXX1C0 Polar White 15,000 BTU Penguin AC for Single Zone LCD Thermostat, purchased via Amazon for $949 with Fedex ground included.

- Dometic 3316250.000 Single Zone LCD RV Air Conditioner Thermostat, for $25 + shipping thru another online RV supply house.   (The orig analog 5 button therms will not work with the current line of digital control Penguin IIs, easily)

Both were shipped and received on time.  I choose to have the local Dometic dealer install the unit since I could not manhandle a 100+ lb unit up onto the roof myself.  The removal & install of the new AC and thermostat took under 2 hrs and cost $165 total, inc state hazmat disposal fee.  The orig in wall wire was used, but the old modular RJ plugs were cut off since the new therm expects bare wire attachments. New AC puts out much colder air, more of it, and is a little quieter too. The new therm works great with the Hydrohot also. 

Note: even with the calls to Dometic Customer Service, we did discover 2 undocumented "features" of the new 641916s and that I would never have thought to ask about:

1) the new 641916 does not mount within in the orig painted 630516 plastic shroud, if that matters to you.   I plan to leave my new front AC shroud white, and when I replace the rear AC next year, that will be a matching white shroud also..

2) The new 641916 does not connect up to the existing condensation drip line of the orig 630516 and currently the water drips off the low side of the coach.   I am trying to work thru Dometic tech support to see if there is a retrofit condensation drain kit available for the new 641916 units, or else I'll make up my own, somehow.

I still plan to order up the available $17 vibration reduction kit from Dometic, called SVC grommet kit, that includes foam pads, anti vibration campers, and compressor grommets to get rid of any possible additional noise & vibration.  LaMonte posted on this recently.
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell, Larry Azus

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I opted to order a replacement A/C and conversion kit (for the thermostat) online, and will install myself. The total cost for the A/C and conversion kit comes to $1074 including shipping. I only need to figure out how to get it on the roof. I will see if I can borrow a lift or hoist from someone nearby...

Larry
Larry & Pat
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
The mobile service I used had a pickup truck with the ac in a box in the back. He put an extension ladder in the bed attached to the bumper and backed up to the front of the coach. He used straps to hold the ladder to the truck. He then put a guy on the rv roof and they wrapped a rope around the box and pushed and pulled it up on the roof. He then did the install, put the old ac in the box and lowered it down into the truck. Took them about 45 minutes to complete the install.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
When Mike & Jeremy Flowerday replaced my RV's center air conditioner they did not use a lift.  They draped a blanket over the edge of the roof, then leaned a ladder up and resting on the blanket.  On the ground they placed the air conditioner still in the box tilted up on the ladder.  They tied a rope SECURELY around the box holding the air conditioner, then went on the RV roof to pull the box up the ladder with the rope.

I had a meeting so I had to go before the actual lift, but I am guessing one person was on the roof pulling on the rope while the other followed the box up the ladder while pushing it.  If I was to do it (at my age), I would want at least two people on the roof pulling on the rope with a third person pushing and following the box as it slides up the ladder.

Good Luck on your lift!

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Quick Update: I ended up ordering a new air conditioner and control board for $1074 after taxes. I also ordered a new drain kit to redirect the water from the evaporator coils down through walls of the coach rather than releasing it on the roof for $69. Once everything was received I swapped out the control board and installed the drain kit. I was then able to borrow a fork lift to place the A/C on the roof and take the old unit off the roof. After  reconnecting all the wires and bolting down the unit - we now have cold air once again!

Overall, it took about 3-4 hours for the full job and saved over $1000 from what we were quoted for the replacement. Thanks all for your help and recommendations.

Larry
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:47:19 PM by Larry Azus »
Larry & Pat
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley