Author Topic: Mounting Hardware On Coach Exterior  (Read 3131 times)

Michael Hannan

Mounting Hardware On Coach Exterior
« on: July 15, 2017, 03:38:45 AM »
I bought some cameras to mount on the side of my coach to help with backing, turning, etc..... They're adjustable but I'm going to use them looking straight down.  The mounts come with 3 screws and nylon anchors.  I'm going to use marine silicone to waterproof where the mount is screwed on.  Is there anything I should know about screwing to the outside of the coach (near the roofline) or perhaps a better method of attaching the mount?

Thanks
MJ

Edward Buker

Re: Mounting Hardware On Coach Exterior
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »
Michael,

The nylon anchors are an option and would be used on thin materials that many other coaches have. I think you will find that the fiberglass on your coach is substantial enough to hold the threaded fasteners of the camera without the nylon inserts which sometimes can pull out. I usually approximate the drill size comparing the bit to the screw thread and drill a trial hole into a piece of wood. For fiberglass work you want the threads to have some bite in the hole but not too much given you can shear the screw or create some small stress cracks in the glass....just enough bite by the thread is enough in fiberglass.

I personally like the rolled sealing material that is clay like that is separated by paper for sealing a mount like this to fiberglass. It is available at any RV parts place. Roll out enough strips to cover the area of the camera mount, press them on enough to have them hold, remove the paper, screw in the camera, some will squeeze out, then with a plastic knife trim the excess clay material from around the camera edges and remove the excess. This clay material does not "cure", stays in place, and seals very well. The plus is that it is easily removed if for some reason the camera has to come off.

I do not like silicone to fiberglass as a seal, it tends to not adhere well with age and it tends to then leak. It is not obvious that a leak is occurring until there is damage. This info is how I would go about doing your project. It is an option and my preferences from having many projects over the years. There is no exactly right and wrong method here, just another approach for your consideration. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
"I personally like the rolled sealing material that is clay like that is separated by paper for sealing a mount like this to fiberglass. It is available at any RV parts place." MORTITE  available at any hardware store in the weatherstrip department is the same stuff and much less expensive. I carry a roll with me at all times.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »
Thanks very much guys! :)

Michael Hannan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
Would small toggle bolts be ok?  I'm concerned that I might get the size of the holes for the screws wrong and it falls off while driving.

MJ

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »
Personally I would not.  I would be afraid the toggle would not have enough room to pass through the sidewall and expand.  Just my two cents. :o
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:37 AM »
Michael.

I would not be afraid to size the hole using a piece of wood and screws. When you have a hole where the tread just barely cuts a thread in wood and you cannot pull it out by hand, you are in the right space to then try it on the fiberglass. Start the screw into the glass after drilling the hole and if is getting hard to turn to the point where you may break or strip the screw head, then drill the next size up in the wood and see if the screw will still grab. If so enlarge the fiberglass hole and try again until this works. You can get a tine of Johnson's Paste wax and coat the screw, that will help.

Toggles are a very bad idea in that the hole has to be so oversized to get the toggle through, that it will never seal correctly.

Later Ed