Author Topic: Air Leak Tip  (Read 2625 times)

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
Air Leak Tip
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:03:39 AM »
While repairing a coolant leak above the front generator, I discovered an unknown air valve (to me) behind the generator.  I have soaped up the air ranks and fittings, and resealed many fittings and hoses. Additionally, I discovered the air system purge valves in the engine bay were also leaking.  Now I soap them up after use to assure they are air-tight.

This work plus re-sealing the front compartment valve has resulted in going from overnight pressure dropping to several days.  For reference, attached is the air control valve behind the generator on the upper front wall of the compartment.
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Air Leak Tip
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »
Randy, how did you go about resealing the air valves?  Though I've had tech's work on ours, with varying success just locating leaks in the first place, I've not been clear on exactly how any perceived fixes were made.  Reckon I just assumed a threaded fitting was snugged up.

I seem to recall a thread or two here in the past where an improved replacement fitting was mentioned.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Paulhowell

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
On my 1999 Thunder, that air fitting on the front firewall is for the sliding panel that covers the entry steps. I had to adjust it the other day to increase the air pressure.
Paul.

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
Joel:

Meant to say that I checked for the valve sealing with soapy water.  My all the valves were leaking, so just keep turning one direction to another to find a point that bubbles went away.  One of the valves would not stop bubbling, so I had to remove it and insert a plug.  I planned to look for a ball-type valve with the proper size thread and replace as needed. 

I also had to replace the air hose hook up fitting (in the back bay by the purge valves), since it was bubbling significantly and would not stop after repeated hose hook up.  Seems that it was the internal check valve issue.  I'm making progress, have bubbled the front area, air tanks, and suspension air bags, next step is to look under the rear are since I still have a small leak somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:21:55 PM by Randy Stephenson »
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:16 PM »
"Meant to say that I checked for the valve sealing with soapy water." 
Yes, you mentioned your soapy water leak sensing, Randy.  When you used the term "resealing" or "resealed" I assumed you meant you were utilizing a sealant product.  But you were merely resnugging fittings as I'd presumed various tech's had done with mine.  Glad you are having some success dealing with those pesky and elusive micro air losses that perplex us all on occasion. 

Many of us get to a point where we just accept that the rig will drop somewhere to some degree over some number of days;  and perhaps the auto-leveling auxiliary pump doesn't run all too often.  Whatever minor leaking may be occurring gets to where it's more trouble, work, or labor costly than it's worth.  It's up to us as individuals as to what that value is.

As I'd noted previously, there was mention in the Forum not long ago of an air connection fitting that was an improvement over what was used in many of our rigs;  whether it was with regard to just Monaco-built ones or prior I don't recall.

Joel

My bad perhaps.  Reckon it was more than "not long ago", and it wasn't an improved fitting.  But you may benefit from reviewing the thread I think I was remembering:   http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5213.msg39000.html#msg39000
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:38:14 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Randy Stephenson