Author Topic: Girard Awning Won't Retract - Solved the Mystery  (Read 11153 times)

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
Girard Awning Won't Retract - Solved the Mystery
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:15:30 AM »
I had a good day troubleshooting and investigating the very frustrating Girard awning issue that many have experienced.... extending and not retracting back to home position.

Reading the threads on this topic, I was not able to come up with a fix.  After always needed to use the manual crank, I decided to try and solve this issue.  I called Girard and spoke to a very helpful technician following is what I learned:

The awning fabric not being taunt is not the problem
Once potential low voltage is eliminated, this too is not the issue
After explaining that my awning would extend and not retract (even with no fabric load on the awning roller it would stop), the technician explained that the current limit device was most likely bad.  Apparently they stopped using modules.
Fix is to bypass the module and hook the motor up directly
Carefully adjust the limit switch (on the bottom of the motor), so that the motor turns off at the exact moment the awning cover closes...if not a burned out motor results.

After calling BCS, Ken explained the modules should be either above the door of if the coach has a slider they are in a panel in the upper cabinet on the front wall of the slider.  I pursued on and found the panel and modules behind it.  After turning off the power, I removed the current limit box cover and hooked up the motor directly.  Testing using the remote, the awning retracted!

I needed to adjust the closing limit switch (the motor was stuck on)...so this is critical.  After cycling the awning numerous times I moved onto the anemometer.

In regard to the anemometer, I climbed up on the roof and gave the wind sensor a whirl with no luck.  The technician explained that the anemometer has to spin for at least 6 to 10 seconds to function.  Option is to use a leaf blower or hair dryer to replicate wind and test if the awning retracts.   The other option is to take the cover off and adjust the sensor knob to the lowest wind speed setting.   Once I completed this adjustment, the awning retracted with a slight breeze...another success!

Following are photos for your reference if you have or experience the awning retracting issue

Randy

Key to photos:
1176, Location on front wall of the slider
1173, Jumper to eliminate module, direct motor hookup
1172, Module before direct motor hook up (notice you can use the original wiring block) no need for tape or wire nuts
1174 Anemometer module
1175 Anemometer speed adjustment (factory setting was at 11:00 O' Clock position) approximately 20 MPH
1171 Anemometer and current limit device

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:05:04 PM by Randy Stephenson »
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

william harrison

Re: Girard Awning Won't Retract - Solved the Mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
 I have the same problem but  I see nothing like this in my 03 marquis.

Any idea where mine may be located?

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
William, according to my discussions with Ken at BCS, if you have a slide out it should be in the cupboard area on the front wall of the slide.  There is a panel with six screws, you may not see it if you are not aware it is there.  In my 2004, there are two covers that are over the awning bolts, the panel is to the left of the covers. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:58:14 AM by Randy Stephenson »
Randy & Jane Stephenson
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:44 PM »
Photo 1176 shows the cover, the panel is there by the door hinges.
Randy & Jane Stephenson
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Bob Bulot

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:50:59 PM »
Just a word of thanks for your post.  Saved me a lot of time in researching why awning wouldn’t close and a lot of time and money chasing down and buying an unnecessary module.