Author Topic: Washington/Oregon Advice  (Read 10244 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Washington/Oregon Advice
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »
Ok I know a bunch of y'all are from Oregon/Washington area.  We will be returning from Alaska via Washington State and Oregon.  We flew into Oregon about 10 years ago and stayed in a treehouse but didn't see much other than the Redwoods in CA and Crater Lake.  We will be passing through in late August or early September on our way to the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque.  Should have plenty of time.  What are the things that we should not under any circumstances miss while we are there?  Might even drop by Bend to see the birth place of my Beaver/SMC/Monaco hybrid! Y'all have over a month to think about it.  Thanks in advance.
Jerry 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Washington/Oregon Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »
Oregon:  The lower Columbia Gorgeous - its dams, waterfalls, interesting geology, etc.
              The Cascade Range - its snow covered peaks like Mt. Hood, the Three Sisters, Mt. Bachelor, etc.
              Crater Lake
              The Oregon Coastline from Astoria to Brookings - mouth of Columbia River, Depoe Bay, Sea Lion Caves, the
              Lighthouses, etc.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »
If you can stop at the Boeing Plant in Everett, WA you can also see Paul Allens flying war birds at the same airport. I also would take the time to visit the Museum of Flight at Boeing field it's first class.
I am not sure about your route but I would also stop at McMinneville some great wines and the spruce Goose.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
Beware of Seattle and Portland traffic. Come through at night. You can't go wrong on the Oregon Coast. Oregon State Parks on the coast are nice for coaches and the private RV Parks are great too.

Washington State Parks are often very forested and too tight to fit. Also they tend to line the parking pads with big rocks. So stick to RV Parks if visiting Mt Rainier or St. Helens.

If coming down I-5, a hidden gem is the La Conner Marina RV Park, west of Mt. Vernon.

Don't forget Cape Disappointment in Washington; a great place to start an exploration of the coast.
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Paul Lucas

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
Oregon has tons of Scenery, and beauty. One place you will enjoy is Silver Falls State Park. It is considered the Crown Jewel of Oregon State Parks. It is east of Salem. It has 14 waterfalls, 10 alone on a 3 mile trail called trail of ten falls. 4 of these falls you can walk behind. Each is unique and changes dramatically with the seasons.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
Not from Oregon or Washington, but we traveled both extensively a few years ago. Olympic National Park in Washington, especially the Hoh Rain Forest section on the Southern end is a unique treat. I would recommend McKinley's Marina and RV Park in Waldport, OR. They have sites right on the cove off the Alsea River where it meets the sea. Also, The Redwood Trail just south of Brookings was beautiful with giant redwoods. Mt. Rainier National Park is a must see.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
My thanks to all so far.  I plan to set my route by what y'all tell me here.  I may try to avoid Seattle and Portland Portland if possible.  I learned early to avoid driving at night.  Even with the headlight relays fix they don't work very well.  Thanks again I appreciate your help.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Englund

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
Going north to south, to see Oregon, one has to decide highway 101, I5, 95 or 395. Each is very different. 101 is an easy drive down the Oregon coast and, allow at least week to 10 days. One could easily spend 2 weeks looking at lighthouses, wandering in towns and checking interesting sites or even riding the sand dunes. I5 gives you all the rural areas and urban cities with funky Portland, wine tasting, museums, etc. 95 gives you the Cascades on one side and high desert on the other. If you like volcanic mountains, rocks and desert you'll enjoy 95. You'll enjoy the greater Bend area. 395 gives you the desert with interesting desolute mountains, but don't expect a lot. Not much different than most of Nevada. Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge, particularly from Portland to the Dalles.

Going across Oregon, west to east, except for I84 is all 2 lane twisty roads and slow going. Going from 101 to I5, on any of the routes allow a couple of hours. Easiest drive is 20 from Newport with the new highway. Going from I5 to 95, again allow for a couple of hours, and you'll be climbing over the Cascades. And, from 95 over to 395 will be about 3 hours, and boring. 26 is more scenic, 20 is faster, but boring and 140 is really boring!

There are some highways to avoid - 242, the Mckenzie Pass Hwy (DO NOT drive the motorhome); 199, Grants Pass to Crescent City (CA doesn't permit motorhomes over 40' on this route)

And, look for us when you're at the Ballon Fiesta. Both Lee Ann & I and Rick & Terri Mayer are going to be there with Fantasy 10/12 to 16.
Bill Englund
2008 Country Coach Affinity 45'
600 Cummins
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jeffprupis

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »
Point Hudson Marina and RV Park  Port Townsend, WA. Great location for exploring Olympic Pinn and National Park.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »
Going north to south, to see Oregon, one has to decide highway 101, I5, 95 or 395. Each is very different. 101 is an easy drive down the Oregon coast and, allow at least week to 10 days. One could easily spend 2 weeks looking at lighthouses, wandering in towns and checking interesting sites or even riding the sand dunes. I5 gives you all the rural areas and urban cities with funky Portland, wine tasting, museums, etc. 95 gives you the Cascades on one side and high desert on the other. If you like volcanic mountains, rocks and desert you'll enjoy 95. You'll enjoy the greater Bend area. 395 gives you the desert with interesting desolute mountains, but don't expect a lot. Not much different than most of Nevada. Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge, particularly from Portland to the Dalles.

Going across Oregon, west to east, except for I84 is all 2 lane twisty roads and slow going. Going from 101 to I5, on any of the routes allow a couple of hours. Easiest drive is 20 from Newport with the new highway. Going from I5 to 95, again allow for a couple of hours, and you'll be climbing over the Cascades. And, from 95 over to 395 will be about 3 hours, and boring. 26 is more scenic, 20 is faster, but boring and 140 is really boring!

There are some highways to avoid - 242, the Mckenzie Pass Hwy (DO NOT drive the motorhome); 199, Grants Pass to Crescent City (CA doesn't permit motorhomes over 40' on this route)

And, look for us when you're at the Ballon Fiesta. Both Lee Ann & I and Rick & Terri Mayer are going to be there with Fantasy 10/12 to 16.

Maybe we can set up a meet-up somewhere at the Festival.  We haven't had a chance to meet any fellow Beavers yet.  Been too busy exploring the Country after retirement.  After this summer it will be a little slower and more directed I think.  Have fun!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
This is an inland route but very good roads

Jerry another option is driving Hwy 97/395 lots of things to see. Stop at Prosser stay at Wine Country RV for overnight your 30 min from Hanford(Atomic Musem).
Keep heading South to the "Mary Hill Museum" (great camping Mary Hill sate Park).
Hwy 97 will take you to BCS via Madras ( they have a new air museum) 
Heading south on 97 you will be very close to Crater Lake a great stop.
Then at K Falls the road will become 395 and goes to Reno fun time.
Heading south on 95 the Navy folks stop at NAS Fallon  this route will also take you by many of the Nevada Brothel's on your way (Chris will not let me stop) so we head to Hawthorne Camping at Whiskey flats great park, Hawthorne Army Depot
Next stop Las Vegas we like to stay at Boulder City(Lake Mead you need to use your Golden Age Pass)
You can take 40 all the way to Albuquerque 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:08:05 PM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »
"Then at K Falls the road will become 395 and goes to Reno fun time."

Actually 97 and 395 never come together, at least in Washington and Oregon.  395 goes North-South through more Eastern Washington and more Eastern Oregon versus 97 and through such notable cities as Colville, Spokane, Ritzville, the Tri-Cities, Hermiston (where we reside), Pendleton, John Day, Burns, Lakeview, almost to Susanville, Reno, etc.

In Central or South Central Oregon to get from 97 to 395 you would likely go SouthEast near La Pine (South of Bend) on 31, or at Chiloquin (near Crater Lake) East SouthEast on 848 then 140, or at Klamath Falls East on 140 to Lakeview.

I believe one's routing through Washington and Oregon, and Idaho for that matter, would be more predicated on where you will most easily access and cross the CDN-USA border.  From there I would want to avoid I5 as much as possible.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:48:01 PM by David T. Richelderfer »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 01:27:47 AM »
Wife on has decided that she wants to explore Olympic NP from Shelton WA area. 
1.  Suggestions for 4-5 hour day trips around Shelton?
2.  Port Townsend Ferry, yes or no in the Beaver?
3.  Drive from Shelton WA to US 101 then South to Brookings Or. and on to Cave Junction OR. easy, medium or white knuckle?
Thanks for your expertise in the WA, OR area.  Brand new to us.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 04:01:19 AM »
There are RV parks all around the Olympic Mountains, but mostly near the larger towns like Aberdeen at Gray's Harbor and near Port Angeles/Sequim at the NE end of the peninsula.  There are lots of campgrounds but I doubt your Beaver would be appropriate in them.  lol

1.  4-5 hour day trips:  The road (US101 & 8-12) around the Olympic Mountains is a 310 miles drive - over six hours without stopping.  You may be better served to park the Beaver near Gray's Harbor/Aberdeen and explore around there, then move to Shelton and explore around there, and then move North towards Port Angeles/Sequim and explore from there.  I have not taken the US101/8-12 loop drive so cannot bear witness to the road.  But I have been to Aberdeen, Shelton, Sequim, Port Angeles, Forks, etc., long ago.  I have heard the trip into the rain forest is good.  The drive up the West side of Hood's Canal is also good.  I used to scuba dive along there years ago.

2. Port Townsend Ferry with the Beaver:  I don't have a clue.  But I would call and ask, and be sure to tell them your Beaver rides very low to the ground.  Also, it will cost at least $60 each way.  In prime time hours it will cost more.

3. US101:  Actually, Shelton is on US101.  I would ask if your plan is to stay on US101 going on 8-12 to Aberdeen, then South along the Washington Coast and cross the Columbia River to Astoria, or go down I-5 to Longview, cross the Columbia River there, then go West to get on US101.  Either way you will get to Astoria and get to US101 in Oregon.  The Astoria bridge is a long one - ten miles or so across the mouth of the Columbia River.  We have driven US101 from Coos Bay to Astoria (South to North) in our Beaver with the Avalanche in tow (about 72 feet long).  The problem with the North Oregon Coast is traffic, much of it being from the Willamette Valley cities from Portland to Eugene.  They drive fast and follow close.  They also seem to want to ride bicycles on the road.  US101 in Oregon doesn't have a forgiving edge.  In most places the white fog line is about one foot from the bar pit.  This causes a big problem when you come upon bicycles!  Also, there are a couple tunnels that will get your attention, not to mention some beautiful scenery.  I have not been on US101 South of Coos Bay since the 1960s.

Good luck.

Bill Schneider

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 05:40:05 AM »
Jerry,
I live near Port Townsend and have taken the ferry between Port Townsend and Whidbey Island several times with my Beaver.
To avoid problems, check the tide tables and try and hit a high tide for crossing. The ramp on and off the ferry can be to steep during low tides and cause you to drag the rear. Depending on your ride height, you can do some real damage. Also, I would recommend unhooking your tow for the crossing. This gives you a little more manuverability. I would go online and make reservations to make sure you get the ferry crossing time you want. With a little advanced planning, it's no big deal.
Safe travels,
Bill Schneider, MCPO(SS), retired