Author Topic: HONDA CRV 2014 batteries die when towing  (Read 6587 times)

KC Snellgrove

HONDA CRV 2014 batteries die when towing
« on: July 28, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
GOOD MORNING FELLOW BEAVERS! I tow a Honda 2014 CRV and professionally installed SMI AIR Force ONE braking system. When I drive more than 2-3 hours my battery goes dead and I have to get jumped. I finally bought AAA battery, since I call them so much. The last time they had to jump me the readout was. He did not tell me I needed a battery. I didn't read the tape, BUT I DEFINITELY WILL IN THE FUTURE.

INITIAL VOLTAGE ON ARRIVAL
11.27 V

BATTERY TEST
Consider replacing soon
Rated         450 CCA
Measured   73 CCA
Voltage      11.37 V
Temp           89

STARTING TEST
Charge battery
Voltage                8.24 V
Cranking current   7.7 A

CHARGING TEST 
Normal
No load voltage  13.9   V
Loaded voltage   13.75 V

So, my fellow Beavers who tow a Honda (or anyone who can help me) what do you think is going on. I want to correct this problem. I am tired of being stuck.

THANK YOU ALL IMMENSELY!! I SO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU and I look forward to meeting each and every one of you.

Sincerely,

Gerald Farris

Re: HONDA CRV 2014 batteries die when towing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »
KC,
Is this occurring while the Honda is being towed, or when you are driving it?

Gerald 

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
 I'll assume your talking about the battery going dead while towing ? ...since You say you have smi braking installed .. did you also as part of that have a power wire installed to maintain the battery of the car from the coach battery system. If I remember the cars electrical system need to be on to tow so it will deplete itself quickly  unless it's getting 12 volts from the coach.if it's just going dead while driving the smi  shouldn't affect that. Perhaps a alternator issue? Never had issues with our Honda .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:37:01 PM by William Jordan »

Bob Jae

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:51:03 AM »
We have a 2011 CRV and we make sure the radio and heat and ac control is turned off, unplug our Garmin GPS and cell phone chargers that have an led.  We tow 4 or 5 hours with no problem.  When we do not unhook at night I will run the car for 15 minutes and it is good the next day.  If we are towing over 5 hours I will run the car 15 minutes when we stop for lunch.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
We tow a 2006 Honda CRV,  and pretty much follow the same procedure as Bob Jae mentioned, and have not had any problems with the battery going dead when towing up to 8 hours. Our manual says we have to stop and go through the set-up routine again, after 8 hours.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
We tow a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, automatic transmission with electric shifting 4WD transfer box and it's towed 4-wheels down.  When the technician installed the Avalanche's lighting system (blinkers, brake lights, etc.) to work from the coach when attached and being towed, he pulled a wire from the coach's power to the Avalanche's battery to keep its battery charged.  I told the technician we would be using an Even Brake in the Avalanche so the battery might require "feeding" during those long driving days.  My fear is the Avalanche's battery is getting "overfed" (read: overcharged) because that power feed from the coach to my knowledge does not go through a regulator.  We have not had a low battery in five years in the Avalanche.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
KC,
We had the same problem with my 2014 Honda CRV. I installed a  Toad Charge, and haven't had problem since.  It is very easy to install.   I found out about it from BAC member at rally. 

Here is link to it:    http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:27:30 PM by John Bagwell »
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
KC and all,

If you have the nav system package in a Honda and you have to enable the accessory position to unlock the wheel it will run the battery down in about 3-5hours. There is a fuse that can be pulled (identified by Honda bulletins for your model or ask a dealer) but it is a pain to do each time you tow.

If you take a spare of the same size fuse in the panel, short it out so it is open, you can then file or grind off the plastic over the blades so that a pair of wires can be soldered on, near the top of the flat side of the blades.

In series with that wired fuse, add a weather sealed blade type fuse holder (NAPA has them) that will now become a remote fuse holder not mounted within the Honda fuse panel. You can then add a switch in series with the new fuse holder completing this harness.

Route and mount the wires, switch, and fuse holder in a way that will be convenient for you and this will stop the discharge when the switch is in the off position. This project takes 1-2 hours and served us well for 10 years of towing a 2006 Accord.  I had the switch mounted in the driver lower kick panel but you could also just tie wrap anywhere it where it can be reached. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Schneider

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
KC,
Ed is correct, you have to pull the fuse specified in the towing section of your manual. I have the same vehicle and I have towed it for over 20,000 miles without a problem. My solution was to install a Roadmaster fuse bypass switch. I installed it on the dash between the Tire monitor and the Stability swich, Ed is also correct in stating that the fuse requires a contortionist to pull. That is why I did it just once to install the Roadmaster switch. The switch is a little spending, but you won't regret it. If you install the switch, you will not need the charging wire. Just remember to turn everything off before you tow.
Another option for you,
Bill

Bill Schneider

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 05:42:45 AM »
KC,
I just read my post and realize I probably need to elaborate a little more. I have the same car and SMI brake system as you. There are a few variables that aren't being discussed in your question. Along with the SMI braking system, I ran a seperate wiring harness for the tail/brake lights and installed seperate bulbs in the tail light housing. You will need to install a brake light relay if you do this to disconnect the Honda tail/brake lights when towing. There is very little battery discharge with this type of installation. All DC power comes from the coach. The SMI control box under the hood draws very little power. If you decide to use the the Honda tail/brake lights, instead of the system I descibed, you will have some battery discharge over long days of towing, especially in traffic. This situation could require a charging wire from the coach. What I have described requires a little more work, but once done, is trouble free. I also ran a wire from the Brake light Relay (the one described above) through my unused pin on the six pin connector to a red  LED lamp on my dash. This LED lets me know when the brakes are actually being applied on the Honda.
Bill
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!d THANK YOU! ALL for taking the time to tell me what to do with this problem. I am passing this onto my RV tech to decide what to do. I like the idea of the switch to just turn it off and on. My Honda does have the navigation system and I turn everything off I can including pulling out the adapter to charge my phone.

AGAIN THANK YOU. Have a wonderful day. You save my behind ONE MORE TIME..... :) 8)

Iris Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
Install a "knife switch" on negative post of battery and "Open" switch while towing. This works on our 2007 Honda CRV. Have to reset clock on radio after unhooking from coach.
Switch can be purchased from any parts store.
GOOD LUCK

Wally and iris Schmidt F60829
BAC Charter members

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:06:48 PM »
My solution to maintaining charge in my 2007 Honda CR-V was a small 2 watt solar panel similar this one from Amazon:  [size=21px !important]Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer

I just place this little panel on the dash or up under the sun roof and plug it into the cigarette lighter. I avoid driving much beyond dusk so reduced sunlight has little or no affect. As already mentioned it is important to turnoff radio, heater fan, seat warmer, rear window defrost, etcetera.

As an aside I share this experience when towing the CR-V. While performing the 2 to 3 minute pretowing warm-up I exited the Honda to check something and a gust of wind blew the door shut locking me out. Although I was boondocking in a remote area I was able to tow the Honda with engine running the 40 miles to the nearest available AAA service.
Also, as the service tech after springing the door sufficient to insert a wire he was struggling to trip the door handle unlock button. I suggested since the engine is running why not just push the power lock/unlock button. Issue resolved. LOL[/size]
[/color]
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Brad Barnes

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 01:38:54 AM »
I tow a 2014 Honda CRV and I have a charge wire installed from the coach to the CRV this was a simple install and allows me to not worry about the battery anytime I am towing. I also had a key made at the local Honda dealer that will unlock the door and will also turn the ignition switch but will not allow the car to be started. I keep the key in the motorhome as a precaution to doors being locked accidentally
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone