Author Topic: Carefree Eclipse awning won't Retract  (Read 2343 times)

gregott

Carefree Eclipse awning won't Retract
« on: July 29, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »
08 Contessa Westport. Eclipse main awning extends just as it should but does nothing when I try to retract?

I have installed a new motor (no change). I then installed a new direct control response box (no change). I can retract the awning only by using jumper cables to 12v direct battery. When I push the retract button, I hear a click noise from the control box but the motor makes no sound or movement.

This has me stumped. My thought is to just jump the switch hot from the door awning switch? Thanks in advance.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Carefree Eclipse awning won't Retract
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
Greg,
Check to see what voltage is at the 2 studs on the control arm near the motor when extending and trying to retract the awning. Since the voltage/gnd is reversed to retract the motor, it would seem that the wiring from the control box to the motor is OK.If you are getting a low voltage, check for a poor ground. I had a similar problem and ended up using the ground from the co-pilot chair rather than the ground as wired to the control box. (also could be a poor 12v connection).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

gregott

Re: Carefree Eclipse awning won't Retract
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 02:21:22 AM »
Update:  Thanks for the reply and suggested help. Upon, further investigation, I was able to determine the problem was with the plug on exterior of coach above the arm of my awning where the power wires go into the coach. Water had gotten into the plug and caused some corrosion to build up on the pin that must have controlled the retract function causing resistance. The fix was that after cleaning out the corrosion from the pin, I used some dielectric grease to seal up the plug and the awning is now working fine. Thought I'd post this in case anyone else experiences the same issue.