Author Topic: HWH Air Leveling Compressor  (Read 7239 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
HWH Air Leveling Compressor
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
I've noticed my leveling air comp. on my 2000 series HWH system hasn't been coming on when the system calls for air. So I did some investigating. The air pressure was already 0 on the red marker and 60 psi on the green. I dumped the air pressure manually to see if the air compressor  would start at some point. When both were close to 0 on the gauge it finally kicked in and added a little air, then shut back off. HWH leveling was still calling for air to complete leveling. So, I think I may have a bad pressure switch on the system. According to the manual it's supposed to kick on the pump at 105 psi and shut it off at 115. Also, to replace this pressure switch, does the coach need to be on blocks? Thanks for any feedback.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Lee Welbanks

Re: HWH Air Leveling Compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:47:16 AM »
Larry, Anytime you are under the coach it should be blocked so as not to come down.
Test the pressure switch, unplug it and check with a ohm meter across the two wires, I think the switch closes at 100 psig or below.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:54:10 PM »
Thanks Lee!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 03:18:51 AM »
Perhaps I'm missing something.... Might the manual section to which you refer be describing the function of the air governor that controls the compressor on the engine? Isn't the HWH system isolated from the coach air system by a manifold and doesn't it manage just the bag heights if needed every 30 minutes (at whatever the bag heights were when leveling was performed) via its leveling computer?

I replaced a bad air governor in the engine bay after the engine compressor failed to shut off @115 psi. The governor housing was found to be cracked. Dealing with a separate issue, I also helped replace the HWH computer ($$$!!!) and assisted in manually calibrating the new unit. Isn't the auxiliary pump system just for incidental leveling needs and therefore limited to short run times?

Please enlighten me if there's a different relationship between the coach air and the aux air.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 05:14:04 AM »
You are correct, the HWH operates when the air system pressure is too low to accomplish leveling, adding air to the air bags that need more pressure to complete re-leveling the coach on the 30 minute cycle. According to the operating manual, when the air system air pressure drops to 105 psi, the HWH air comp. activates and pressures the system up to 115. Mine no longer kicks on, so over time we are no longer level. I know the compressor works and will add pressure to the system, but I think the pressure switch is faulty and not telling it to kick on. My air system pressure will drop to 0 on the red indicator and the green will usually stay around 60 psi. This is not enough at times to satisfy the air bags. Please feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding this. Thanks!
Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:19:22 AM »
Also I know that when initially leveling the coach the manufacturer recommends running the engine to help maintain the air pressure. I have tried leveling without running the engine and the air system gauges drop rapidly. So, I assume the air break and air bags all operate on the same air system.
Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
I would like to join this issue in regard to the my system.  I level the coach with the engine running to maintain high psi in the green and red pressure indicators.  In some circumstances, I have leveled the coach using a manual process until the yellow leveling light goes green instead of automatic leveling.  I can hear the pump running under the stair well providing air pressure.  However, in some cases it will shut-off before the coach has leveled (assume it is the pressure switch activating).

In the automatic mode, I don't hear the pump running, instead, air seems to be released until the coach levels.  Additionally, when working around the coach and getting in and out, I have heard bursts of air (assume it is leveling, is a bit startling).  So my question, in automatic leveling mode, does the pump provide pressure to raise the couch, or does it level by releasing air?  Also, does someone have a picture of the air pressure regulator valve / location?  I would like to check mine too.   

Randy

Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:53:20 PM »
Randy, the auxiliary pump under the stairwell is meant to work when you are using the Auto Level mode.  Once leveled initially using tank air, the Auto system checks in every 30 mins. or so to see if you are still level.  If not, one (or both) of two things should happen - it will let air out of a high front (which has only one, centrally-located valve) or one of the two rear valves if a rear side is high, or it will activate the little pump to inflate and lift the front or a rear corner bag(s) up.

Be aware of course that if the site is relatively uneven, the system may not be capable of Auto-leveling, and may require repeated attempts starting from a very low position by dumping air first.  Other times it may let out or add air to particular bags right from the Travel Mode get-go and find level just fine.  Manual leveling is occasionally the best option, but the auxiliary compressor in theory shouldn't kick in if you go that route since in that case there is no automatic 30 min. balance check performed.  The air bursts you hear are likely the auto-level sensor triggering slight adjustments to a high set of bags, and air releasing from one of the three valves - front, or left or right rear.

It's not uncommon to have the balance sensor in the HWH module go awry and need adjustment.  Check this by air-leveling the coach using the lights on the HWH panel, and then placing a leveling bubble device on the fridge floor or on several test spots on the central tile floor.  I don't like countertops for this since they can vary from true level from counter to counter.  I like to use a little inexpensive square level with a central bubble that reads all directions at once.  But I've also just used a golf ball on the kitchen floor to see if it rolls one way or another.  If the panel says you're level and so does the ball or bubble, no adjustment to the sensor is required.  Otherwise HWH's website should have instructions for that, or I have them somewhere in my stuff, and pix of the adjustor - as I recall you get balanced as per a ball or bubble level, then tweak the adjustors until the panel lights all go out.

Some here may add to or correct my expose above, but that's how I've come to understand it.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:04:34 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 02:09:36 AM »
Thanks Joel, great tips.  I found a manual, so I'll do some studying.

Randy
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Ed Gills

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:55 AM »
Though not a compressor problem but a HWH problem all the same does anyone know a competent service center near Maryland capable of diagnosing and repairing a computerized air leveling system other than Moscow Iowa?  My 2005 Monterey leans to the passenger side while under way.  It also doesn't lift the rear enough in travel mode.  Thank you so much!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 06:02:16 AM »
I can't speak to a service location, Ed, but for reference it sounds like your right rear control valve rubber sleeve may have torn, a common malady with symptoms like yours.  If so its not a spendy or difficult fix, but indeed should be done by a shop with a service pit or lift.  Crawling under and working on an air system part takes extra care with safety.  NAPA ordered in a spare or two sleeve/boot for me to carry.  It's similar to the one with hose clamp shown joining the rods below on a Foretravel. 
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MBIRN10JC

Replacing a ride height sensor boot I'd prefer left to a tech, but by supporting the coach safely I could at least suffice in a pinch and get to a shop for a check of my work.

A guide to service facilities was recently added to the club Members Only section, but shows none in the Northeast.  Sans an answer here, you might consult the FMCA Forum.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:39:06 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=&sortby=location&state=MD&search=&CategoryID=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=

I am not making recommendations here.  I live in Oregon.  This might be a place to find some firms to call.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:00:42 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »
Ed,
If your coach leans when in travel mode, the problem is either in one of your ride height sensors, its linkage, or adjustment and no in your air leveling system.

Gerald   

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:41 AM »
Here's a link to the HWH page listing authorized dealers and repair techs. No recommendation from me, but several to call in Maryland. I used one from the list a few years ago while in Florida, and he was competent and thorough. As others have noted, HWH Corporation is a quality company to work with. Hope this helps:

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml41023f2.html
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 01:30:41 AM »
I had a problem with the HWh system not controlling ride height which turned out to be a blown fuse on their primary circuit board.  HWH, Moscow found and fixed the fuse among many other problems.