Author Topic: Flexible sink drain  (Read 10619 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Flexible sink drain
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
Having been there, but not with quite your same dilemma, a similar thought occurred to me as Steve's after seeing the last added photo - adding pipe to get the flexpipe fitting actually out into the sidecase.  Yesterday I was going to suggest removing that extra counter casement, but wasn't sure how much that might entail;  I had to remove a piece from ours similarly, but it wasn't quite as "attached" as yours.  At least now you have significantly better access!

The solution (so far) in our case was a longer flex pipe.  You could add an extension of solid pipe, either to the black top pipe with attached cleanout or to the white PVC screw-on adapter, so it reached out into the adjoining case, then attach a PVC elbow turned to open toward streetside (assuming that's a curbside kitchen).  You may or may not need a new flexpipe in order to get the length right, but use every mm of available space between the top and bottom black fittings up to the front of that case to allow the longest possible loop in the flexpipe.  That means that when the slide is in, the curve zenith in the flexpipe will be right up against what I assume is a removeable case cover like ours - the one facing toward the streetside.

This is likely going to take some micromanagement like it did with ours, so without actually being there I can't anticipate what might need to be done that's much different from our solution.  It may take the application of Roger's or Greg's ideas as well.  Since all those other hoses and such travel as well, and the flexpipe may no longer be strapped to them or vice versa, probably they will take some modified management with the wire ties.

Now, I was tempted by angling the flexpipe's mount to the bottom fitting, upward 15 degrees or so (ours cracked at the bottom fitting);  but double-checking that notion in practice prior to cementing things together, proved it put unexpected strain on the hose at the fitting much like what caused the original problem.  The stress at full slide out is different from the stress at full slide in, of course.  You'd have to sort that out for yourself given the situation is somewhat different, but I ultimately just stuck with straight horizontal flexpipe mounting.

I'm suggesting this idea since you need to get rid of that side-to-side stress on the flexpipe.  By taking the hose entirely into the case and alleviating the turn to one side at the top, and freeing the hose from the restrictions of being wire-tied to the other tubing bundles, the flexpipe may be less susceptible to stress at the fittings.  My one concern there would be keeping the now freed flexpipe from hanging up on or being restricted by the other bundle(s) of tubing and such in that narrow, confined case.  The loop needs to move freely in either direction.  Even using another type of hose, as some have done, won't dispel that issue.  I stayed with flexpipe because of its slick and smooth inner surface that gray water gunk won't adhere to.

All this being said, it's also possible that just replacing the flexpipe with a longer hose and removing the restrictive uppermost wire ties from its configuration may allow the loop, now free to flex more in the case, to absorb more of the side-to-side strain, so the mounting point is less likely to fold or tear.  Perhaps a rubber coupling as others have tried, fastened securely with hose clamps and placed near or at the top mount, would suffice to help distribute strain better - as long as the rubber is flexible enough, doesn't serve as a gunk collector inside, and doesn't split over time.  If so, no solid pipe extension nor elbow would be needed.

A big thank you to Carol for adding that last photo!

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Carol Moffett

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
Thank you Steve and Joel!
   We have finally finished this job and think we fixed it and hopefully improved the overall stress problem.  Trust me when I say, we tried EVERY solution we could think of, including everything you gentleman suggested!  We literally have a pile of glued, sawed, modified and mortified plumbing fixtures to prove it! Lol! ALL failures!  In the end, we went for how it was originally installed, with a few modifications.
   In the beginning, Keith had removed about 7" from the top end of the white drain pipe. Because it had been too short from the factory, we added on approx 14" of new hose. First, Keith glued the new piece of hose into the new threaded PVC connector on the end of the hard ABS plumbing. When he did so, he made sure to twist it, making it point downwards, so that when we connected the new and old pieces together, the main force of the torque being put on the hose would be applied more to the center of the hose and NOT at the top PVC/ABS connection that caused the hose to tear in the first place!
   We used a sleeve clamp to connect new with old.  Then, because the white hose is kind of "sticky" or "tacky" feeling and you could tell it had been dragging and binding across the back of the cabinet since day one, we added a plastic sleeve (old cutting board) with zip ties to easy the way!  It seems to work GREAT!  It was a struggle and a challenge to our imaginations but, in the end, we prevailed! Lol! I say "we" a lot, but Keith is the one who did all the dirty work!
Again, thanks for your help and suggestions, guys! Here's some pics!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~
The following users thanked this post: Steve Huber Co-Admin

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
A perfect storm of ideas come to fruition!  Looks good Keith.

My one caution would be to once in a great while cast a glance inside the cabinet when the slide is out, and be sure there is no kink developing at the bottom fitting, which is where mine went bad.  With extra hose length, strain should be less at both ends, but now that you're familiar with the setup you know what to watch out for and where.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:36:07 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett