Author Topic: Passenger seat and "L" couch  (Read 6875 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Passenger seat and "L" couch
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
     Having now spent ample time in my coach to find out what I don't like, I am considering two changes and wonder if anyone has had experience in either issue.
     First, I have a fold down couch in the slide-out on the drivers side and across from that I have what I call a "L" couch which has the Hurricane heat register mounted in it.  It is my desire to remove this "L" couch and buy or build a cabinet or end table which will then house the heat register.  I would then bring in a recliner which is bound to be more comfortable than the "L" couch.  Question;  What challenges can I anticipate in doing so?
     Second, the power passenger seat hangs over the entry steps, even when all the way back, limiting the room getting in and out for my old but extremely muscular physic (ahem, cough, cough) especially when carrying laundry, grocery's or simply serving a tray of cocktails to guests.  In examining the method used for factory installation it seems that I can remove the right front tire and gravel shield which will give me access to the underside of the existing seat mounting plate.  I could then move it toward the rear 8 to 10 inches.  Removing the "L" couch allows for plenty of room to do so.  When I rotate the passenger seat to face into the coach, it hangs over the steps even more.  Question:  What challenges can I anticipate in doing so.
     Once again I turn to BAC for learned advice and thank you in advance for any input.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:26:10 PM by Rick Daniels »
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Gerald Farris

Re: Passenger seat and "L" couch
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
Rick,
There should be no trouble in removing the passenger's side couch and installing a table over the heater register if you, or your cabinet maker is talented enough to match the woodwork in tor coach. There will be a few hold holes in the floor for down bolts for the couch that you will have to fill.

Moving the passenger's seat may be more difficult. The mount is located over a reinforced area, so moving it will probably cause the need for steel plates on both sides of the floor to spread the load. This problem is especially acute in coaches that have shoulder belts incorporated into the seat.

Gerald   

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:50:24 AM »
no shoulder belts at all.  The lap belts are attached to the seat, not the floor.  Some Marquis of my era had a similar furniture arrangements that I want to end up with.  Wish I could find a salvage unit with my woodwork that has that cabinet still in tact. 
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Greg Kamper

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
Hi Rick, You may be in luck.... We removed the table top that came with our '00 Pat Thunder to install an "L" couch. I will see if I have any pictures of it. It has the vent built in to the bottom of the cabinet. I was going to keep it because I'm a pack-rat. Let me find pictures, or take some and you can let me know what it's worth to you.

I did attach the recliner and table picture from the brochure that was in our coach. The recliner looks the same, but I think our wood may be a little lighter.

Greg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:47:32 PM by Greg Kamper »

Greg Kamper

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »
I found one picture on my work computer. It's not the best, but you can see the green in the top. That might not work if you don't have green in your coach.
Greg