Author Topic: Shore power and batteries  (Read 14793 times)

Sherry Klumpp

Re: shore power and batteries
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 03:56:04 AM »
Hi All,

I'm in Houston, TX.  I think the dealer from whom I purchased had something to do with this, but they sell used RVs only.  I've asked for copies of the work done, but none has been forthcoming.
  Is there any place near Houston where I can get this done?  I have an extended warranty through Easy Care, but I don't know whether that is of any help.

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 03:58:10 AM »
Hi All,

I tried sending a photo but I'm not sure it went!

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:48 AM »
Sherry, if I may add my 2 cents here.  I believe Joel has hit the nail on the head here.  The priority here at least for me would be finding a good shop.  It sounds like someone who thinks they know what they are doing did some work on your coach.  They seem to have been over their head.
A good shop will examine all systems including the power transfer switch and make it safe for you to use.  A new Transfer switch would allow the Aladdin to read right and a new relay for the salesman switch will make 12V system reliable.
Make the coach safe first and then find a good Hydro Hot as time and budget allows. 
I dont know your location but if you can make it to Beaver Coach Sales in Bend Or.  They can help you get your feet on the ground and give you info. You can count on as well.
Good luck and welcome to the family!

I am in Houston, TX.  I know the previous owner didn't do this.  I have a bad feeling that the place from which I purchased changed out the transfer box.  I know they installed the Atwood- they told me they did.  Do I have any recourse?  This is a small operation that buys and sells used motorhomes only.  It's clear from talking to the mechanics that they don't know enough about a Beaver to do the work.  I can't believe what they have done.  I think that being a single female isn't helping my case.  The unit was sold because the hydro-hot burned out.  Why all these other problems arose is beyond me.  I've asked for a copy of what repairs were done, but they haven't given them to me. 

I purchased an Easy Care warranty through this group.  Any licensed business can use it.  I don't know if the things we are identifying are "maintenance" or repair.  If not repair, I pay.  Would I be better off trying to sell the RV and cut my losses??

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 12:30:51 AM »
Sherry,
Don’t panic. Class A diesels are complicated beasts and there is a learning curve we all have to go through.
1.   In regards to the Atwood system, is it just a water heater or does it also provide heat for the coach? If it only heats water for interior use, how is the coach interior heated?
2.   We maintain a “Service Providers” list of shops that members have used. The closest one listed in Iron Horse in San Antonio. Here is the hyperlink. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5250.0.html  You need to be logged in to access it on the Forum (Private BAC Members Only> Service Providers).  There is also RV Service Reviews http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=&sortby=location&state=TX&search=&CategoryID=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=
It is open for anyone to post their review.
Based on the records I got with a Marquis I purchased in TX a number of years ago, I would not recommend RV Masters in Houston (my opinion only). The owners also used Action RV Service in Conroe but I couldn’t draw any conclusion on their skill level based on the receipts. They seemed to be a full service shop.
3.   Your warrantee should cover repairs (read it to verify). Be sure to tell the repair facility to contact the warrantee company BEFORE doing any repair work as a number of the companies will use this as a reason to not cover the repair. A good shop should know how to deal with the warrantee co.
4.   Getting back to the breaker tripping, if you haven’t, see if you can plug into another outlet on a different breaker. It could be that the facility’s breaker is bad.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 02:15:31 AM »
Sherry,
Don’t panic. Class A diesels are complicated beasts and there is a learning curve we all have to go through.
1.   In regards to the Atwood system, is it just a water heater or does it also provide heat for the coach? If it only heats water for interior use, how is the coach interior heated?
2.   We maintain a “Service Providers” list of shops that members have used. The closest one listed in Iron Horse in San Antonio. Here is the hyperlink. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5250.0.html  You need to be logged in to access it on the Forum (Private BAC Members Only> Service Providers).  There is also RV Service Reviews http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=&sortby=location&state=TX&search=&CategoryID=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=
It is open for anyone to post their review.
Based on the records I got with a Marquis I purchased in TX a number of years ago, I would not recommend RV Masters in Houston (my opinion only). The owners also used Action RV Service in Conroe but I couldn’t draw any conclusion on their skill level based on the receipts. They seemed to be a full service shop.
3.   Your warrantee should cover repairs (read it to verify). Be sure to tell the repair facility to contact the warrantee company BEFORE doing any repair work as a number of the companies will use this as a reason to not cover the repair. A good shop should know how to deal with the warrantee co.
4.   Getting back to the breaker tripping, if you haven’t, see if you can plug into another outlet on a different breaker. It could be that the facility’s breaker is bad.
Steve
Steve,
  Once again, thank you.  Just knowing there are people with some expertise is a relief!!  I wish I had known more before I bought the motorhome and had known enough to try to get things done properly.  Thing is, I don't think they knew.  That was my impression.  I got.a long list of items today that were supposedly replaced/repaired before I took possession.  The transfer box is one.  I'm ordering the correct one.
  Thank you for telling me about the list of repair shops.  The mobile mechanic is going to do what she can to make the coach safe to drive.  Right now, we aren't sure it is.  She has worked with Easy Care.  She knows their policies and the people.  So that's a relief.
  The storage facility is 30 miles away, so I don't go regularly.  However, I've been wondering the same about the power supply.  All battery power is shut off, but as someone said, there is still the trickle effect.  It does have solar panels, but it is under a roof, so those aren't helping. 
  Attached is a list of things they supposedly replaced/repaired.  Yes, I think repairs are covered by the warranty, but maintenance items aren't.  There are a number of items that still need to be addressed.  The mobile technician showed me a lot of things- other than the coach power button, she seems very knowledgeable.  She knows far more than the place where I purchased.  She has worked at RV dealerships, automotive, electrical, mechanic- seems she knows all areas needed to do the work.  I'll let her get it road-worthy and contact San Antonio in the meantime.
  Thanks so much.  The previous owner is distraught.  He didn't leave the coach this way.  He gave me a different model number for the transfer box, but that one is no longer being made.  I'll get the one that was posted on this site. 
  I'm starting to think I should buy used motorhomes and fix them up and resale them- lol!  I've got a good start!

Sherry, Houston, TX

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 02:42:29 AM »
You may want to check with TRC Surge Guard or even Beaver Coach Service parts for the correct switch model, as I think as you mentioned the original has been updated, probably to the 350 model.  There are less expensive options, but that sounds like what's been going on so far with the dealer service on this poor coach.
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/transfer-switches/50a-plus-hardwire-rvc-ats

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 03:58:56 AM »
Sherry,
Just my thoughts on the water heater. According to the 05 brochure, the Monterey came standard with a water heater and roof mounted heat pumps. The heat pumps are very effective down to 40 degrees or so. Hydro/Aqua Hot units are complex and trouble prone. Do a search on the Forum and see how many posts there are regarding these units. IMHO they are, by far, the most trouble prone system in the RV. The only feature you probably lost was the engine preheat capability, which isn't really needed if the temp is above 40 anyway (unless they plumbed the water heater to provide heat to the engine antifreeze (good question for the tech/dealer).
Also, to get more heat in the coach than is available from the dash unit while driving, you'll have to run the generator to power the heat pumps. So, if you are not going to be RVing in sub 40 degree temps regularly (and if you are there are some efficient space heaters available to supplement the heat pumps), you may be better off (and have less headaches) with the water heater.

Other Forum members may have a differing view and I hope they post them here so you can make an informed decision.
Steve
Steve

Bill Sprague

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
The Hydro-Hot is supposed to do four things:

1.  It makes hot water for the sinks and showers.
2.  It heated the motorhome as the normal use furnace using wall mounted thermostats.
3.  It used excess engine heat to heat the motorhome while driving using the same thermostats.
4.  Optionally, it could heat the engine for easier starting in very cold weather. 

The service report said "Aqua Hot serviced- found to be completely unrepairable, added new Hot Water Heater from Dometic,
new switch and new wire harness."

In a dozen years of Beaver ownership and going to lots of rallies, I've never run into anyone that replaced the diesel powered Hydro-Hot with a propane powered Dometic water heater.   Something is really strange.

How does the "normal heating" of the living space now work? 

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
Sherry,
Based on what you have written, I am assuming you purchased your coach from Best Pre-Owned RV in Houston. I purchased a 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor from them, before we acquired our Beaver. I am familiar with their operation, as we stayed on their property for several days while we went through the Endeavor and made a list of things that needed attention. We also purchased an Easy Cary Extended Warranty from them. They include a 12 month one with the purchase, but Marilyn allowed us to purchase an additional 3 years coverage at their cost. It was very useful when an air compressor belt froze and overheated several components. Easy Care paid for the repairs, less the deductible.

In fairness, BPORV repaired every single item on our list. In addition, since we had to leave before the new windshield arrived, they had it shipped to our service center at home, and paid for the installation. That said, when we were looking for our Beaver, we contacted them and they told us Beaver coaches were beyond their expertise so they tried to avoid them.

Going from the Endeavor to a Beaver triggered an immense learning curve, which has not peaked in the 5+ years we have owned the coach. Patience, ask questions, talk to people who own a Monterey like yours, and it will be sorted in time. This forum is priceless. There are lots of experts here. I'm not one of them, but I have a working understanding of the Hydro Hot, Power System, Aladdin, and the components. Please reach out to me or others here. There are no bad questions. Email addresses and phone numbers can be found in the Membership Directory which is accessed through the Members Only section here. Good luck.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
The Xantrex has a control panel above the entry door. Consider scrolling the menu to power share mode. When using 15 amps to power the coach lower to 15 amp. It will help manage the batteries. Have said that if your batteries are down the Xantrex will use bulk charging and the 15 amp breaker will trip. Once the generator is running or on 30/50 amp shore power remember to return the power share up to 30 on the controls.The refrigerator should be turned off at the control board on the front while on 15 amp shore power. When starting the refrigerator to cool it down and you are still on 15 amp do not put refrigerator on automatic set it for propane only.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »
The transfer switch box is mounted to the back wall of your cord reel compartment, and may look like this one:  https://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6035&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=1101103909189&utm_content=Product%20Listing%20Ads

The most common #12 extension cord is yellow, whereas most small standard #14's are orange.  The wire size should be embossed along the cord, such as "12-3" for the wiring inside consists of three size 12 wires - black, white, and green.

As to the Atwood unit in place of the HydroHot, I've not heard of that maneuver, nor that Atwood had such an animal.  They do furnaces, air conditioners, water heaters and such, and control thermostats for hydronics, but hydronic units themselves?  Perhaps what you have is a water heater and a separate furnace, as opposed to a hydronic combination?

Yes, it sounds like someone has already jumpered the Coach Power circuit.

Joel

Hi Joel,  I'm attaching some photos of where the Atwood hot water heater was installed.  The mobile tech just called.  The dealer never connected the on/off switch so the hot water heater was running constantly and draining the batteries.  The more I find out, the worse it gets...

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Shore power and batteries
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
So it's a gas/electric combo?  Basic water heaters only run on gas. 

Their ignitions are 12 v. - and the gas valve - but igniters and valves are only intermittently used when the burner cycles on and off and normally wouldn't run batteries down.  Any optional electric element inside the tank on the other hand would do so if used off the inverter rather than only when on park power.  Although it's been many years since I dealt with one, and then gas-only ones, I would expect there to be an on/off for the Atwood as well as a selection switch for gas or electric.  Your tech can verify.

The dealer doesn't appear to have done a primo job re. your bay door with this installation, so if you opt to revert back to hydronics you'd need to consider a new door.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:04:12 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Shore power and batteries
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »
Joel,
It is an elec /gas combo. See brochure  http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/waterheater.pdf
It also has a heat exchanger so engine antifreeze is used to heat water while engine is running. (My Marquis had same setup and the water would stay hot in tank overnight with w/o running water heater if I had been driving 4 hours or so). AC load is 1400-1500 watts or 13-14 amps assuming 110v ac. A dual switch panel is available that allows selection of Elec, Gas or both. I would think they installed it in place of the Aqua Hot switch panel.
Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley