Author Topic: Beaver Patriot driver side window leak  (Read 5927 times)

Thomas James

Beaver Patriot driver side window leak
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:13:58 AM »
OK guys, Again I need some help here. Geez, this is turning into ....IDK what(being nice)!! OK, there is a leak coming from above my drivers side window. It's right where the gutter ends, and there is a metal strip(vertical) from under the gutter rail to the top edge of my window. Now, this is Not the seam that goes across the roof. This is something totally different. I took off the metal strop and dug in there as far as I could(aprox 3/4")to get all the old stuff out, and then I'm gonna try and reseal it. One question is - Do I use this Dicor sealant to shove in the gap, or should I put that 50 year stuff, then the strip, then the Dicor sealant on top of that?? But the biggest question is....Why in the World would they even do this?? AND right over a window. And why not extend the gutter rail a little more so nothing drips right over my window?? Part of me says to seal the gap, then fiberglass over it and paint. Then I want to work on that gutter rail. Any thoughts would DEF be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch for putting up with me.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Beaver Patriot driver side window leak
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:52:32 AM »
I don't know what substance should or can be placed under the strip to fill the gap, but after the strip is back in place you might consider Lexel around the strip.  Lexel is clear and if you carefully apply it, then you won't see it and the paint under the Lexel will show through like there is nothing over it.  I used Lexel to seal around and over my keyless entry panel and have yet to have another problem with it... plus you would have to get your eyes within a few inches to see the Lexel.  Dicor placed on top of the strip would hide the paint and the Dicor would look like a scar over the paint.  But perhaps a clear Dicor could be used... if it doesn't run before setting up.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:54:17 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Thomas James

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:02:32 AM »
Thank you David for your reply. I'll Def give that a look-see. What about just fiberglass over the whole thing(after I fill the gap)?? Then repaint. I had a hole in my rear cap-guess someone wasn't looking-lol....before I got it, and had a body shop fill and fiberglass over it. You can't even tell where it was. I just don't know why they would put something like that there. But I've looked at pics of other Beavers, and they all seem to have it. And to stop the gutter rail right there....Dumb! Why not just curve it around the window. Anyway, just some things I'm thinking about. Thank you again.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:28:00 AM »
I am not familiar with using fiberglass, so that's your call.  I have used a couple squeeze tubes of Lexel (found it at Ace Hardware) and a competing brand that looks and acts the same as Lexel (found it at Home Depot).  I have used both Lexel and the competing brand on several places around the exterior of our coach and it seems to hold up to sun exposure quite well - doesn't turn yellow or milky looking like silicon does and holds tight, at least so far, like silicon doesn't.

I was wondering about the strip.  What holds it in place?  Screws or rivets?  If so, then you will want to fill the gap under the strip with a substance that can be drilled and will hold the screws or rivets in place.  Dicor maybe, if it can be inserted into the gap and won't dribble out before setting up?

Hey, I was in management during most of my career, not out in the manufacturing plant.  lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:30:13 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Thomas James

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:36:10 AM »
David, the strip is screwed in. Ok, I'll go to get some of that Lexel Clear Sealant tomorrow. I'm also going to try and get my glass/window guy to come over here, and maybe a body shop guy. There has GOT to be a better way. Thnak's alot there, Bud. I really appreciate it ALOT. later,

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
My 1994 Patriot leaked in the same place. I removed the top gutter, the metal strip and the window. I resealed it all and it still leaked . I put water just on the window glass and it was the rubber seal holding the glass in place that was leaking. I rubbed the black caulking that windshields are glued in with between the glass and the rubber seal. I masked the window glass so as to not make a big mess of the glass. I glued a plastic drip rail over the window with lexal. The drip rail is from plastic siding. It has rained about 3 inches in 2 months now and I have put about 800 miles on the rv and the window don't leak. When I removed the top gutter between the roof cap and wall I found many places where the factory sealing was missed. Here are pictures of the damage caused by the leak and the repairs after it was fixed.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Thomas James

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
WOW Darell! That looks/looked bad. Mine is not that bad. The wood IS pretty soft tho right up around the top of the glass where it curves down, just about where that one cabinet is. Below that it's very solid. But I still can not figure out why in heavens name they would stop the drip rail where they did, and then put that metal strip there. Why not just take the drip rail out further....Past the glass, then curve it down. AND, after taking the metal strip out, there IS a gap there-prob 1/4-3/8" wide, and prob 3/4" deep. Why....I have NO clue! I'm going to have a friend of mine come over in the next couple of days that owns a glass shop, and see what he says. But that drip rail, the metal strip...all of it, is pretty dumb.

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
The wood around the drivers window was soft as well. I replaced all the wood around it. Removed all the damaged wall board and installed new wall board and flooring. I braced the outside wall of the rv with my tractor and 1'' plywood and 2" aluminum channel metal. I used gorilla glue to rebond the fiberglass and foam insulation. I used gorilla glue on the new wall board and I made triangle wood braces with 3/8" rededy rod to clamp the new wall board in place. There are no bulges or delamination on the outside wall at this time.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 03:29:02 AM »
Nice job Darell

We have had three Beavers, a 98 Pat, an 02 Marquis and now A Pat Thunder.  The first two were Safari Beavers and had real leak problems.
The 98 had much the same leaks as did Darell's.  This required much the same repair as did Darell.  It also leaked throught the awning which had to be pulled out and the recess sealed.
The 02 leaked through the awning so we had that pulled as well and sealed.  The gutters on all four corners had to be pulled loose and sealed and reattached.  Seems the factory installed the end caps after the gutters and so left the ends loose.  They were supposed to be sealed last but often weren't leaving the rivets to leak.  The cure was to pull the rivets for about 6 ft. And stick the gutter down with two sided tape then rivet and seal with lexal above.
Lastly the window you mention and the vertical (expansion) seams on both sides were sealed with silicon.  Clean it out and fill with Lexal.  Replace the vertical trim and seal around that.  A 1/8 inch bead of Lexal around the drivers window helps out alot but you might consider adding an extension to the end of the gutter.
Good luck
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:53:06 AM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mark Parker

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
Now it is my turn.

Like Darell I have to replace the paneling under the window as well as a bit of sub floor.

George H. Wall

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 02:53:07 AM »
As Darrell says, replace the rubber seal around the sliding window, available from Beaver Coach Sales.  These are a problem for leaks. Ben there, done that!!!   Henry