Author Topic: Noisey Bedroom Celing Fan  (Read 3608 times)

Robin Goffrier

Noisey Bedroom Celing Fan
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »
Anybody dealt with an intermittent ticking in a bedroom ceiling fan? I fooled around with it but to no productive avail. I'm pretty much deaf as a post without hearing aids (explosion Vietnam 1969) so no problem for me at night.  But the phrase "happy wife, happy life" has a flip side.

Gerald Farris

Re: Noisey Bedroom Celing Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:13 PM »
Robin,
A ticking noise in a ceiling fan is usually caused by an out-of-balance condition that causes excess movement in the mount.

Gerald

Rod Ogle

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »
Gerald.

How do you fix the "out of balance" condition??  Our front AC fan also has a pesky ticking from time to time.

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »
Could one use a fan balancing kit from one of the big box stores?
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »
Robin
Try this, find a spot on the ceiling that is just outside the range of the fan blade but it flat.  Use a measuring tape  and measure to the point on the fan blade.  If there is no point just use the same spot on each blade.  Do each blade and adjust (bend) the one that is out.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
Rod,
I balance ceiling fans by just taping coins to the top side of the fan blades. I just tape a coin to one blade an turn on the fan. If the vibration improves, I adjust the coin count until the is no vibration, and if it is worse, I move the coin to the opposite side blade. This takes a lot of trail and error, and a lot of moving of the weights, but it works very well if you are patient, thorough,and use a good tape like duct tape. 

If your front A/C fan is noisy, that is usually caused by either a shaft bushing or bearing.

Gerald