Author Topic: Comfort Hot  (Read 5600 times)

Pat Long

Comfort Hot
« on: August 17, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
I have a 2000 Marquis Amethyst with the Hurricane heating system.  In the master closet is the electrical panel and next to the panel is a switch with 2 options.  One is the AC, and the other is a Comfort Hot option.  Can anyone give me some info as to the correct operation for this option Please?   

Gerald Farris

Re: Comfort Hot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:31 PM »
Pat,
The Comfort Hot is an electric supplement for the Hurricane heating system. So it should be turned on if you are on 50 amp shore power and not running the A/C unit (cool or cold weather), and turned off at any time that A/C is needed.

With the Comfort Hot system turned on, you will not need the diesel burner to heat the coach until the outside temperature is below freezing. In fact, as a fulltimer in my 2000 Marquis, I would not even turn on the Hurricane system except for less than 20 hours a year of run time, because the Comfort Hot worked so well.

Gerald 

Pat Long

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
Just how does the system get turned on to use without using the diesel burner?  I have used the Hurricane system and have encountered a remote open signal on the main panel.  I turn the system on, turn on the remote switch under my dining room cabinet, call for heat at thermostat, and it will run for about 2-5 minutes and then stop with remote open code.  Thank You again for your time and help.

Pat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:25:35 AM »
Gerald wrote on July 14, 2010:

"I have been ask by a forum member in regards to a Hurricane heater "what is a Comfort Hot". So I will try to explain what it is, especially for new Beaver owners with Hurricane heaters.

"The Comfort Hot system is an inline electric heater with two 17 amp heating elements and a 4 to 5 gallon coolant capacity, that is installed in one of the Hurricane hoses to add electric heating capability to the Hurricane system or any other hydronic heating system.

"The Comfort Hot system was designed and built by Jim Rixen at Rixen's Enterprises (http://rixens.com/) in Portland Oregon, the company that sold the Hurricane heaters to Beaver. The system was installed on a lot of Beavers that have Hurricane heaters since the Hurricane has no 120 volt heating option. Some of the early Patriots did not have electric water heaters, so the electric option was a very popular aftermarket add-on.

"The Comfort Hot system will keep the coach comfortable (without the Hurricane diesel burner running) on 30 amp shore power (one 17 amp element on) with outside temperatures down to the 42 to 45 degree range. On 50 amp shore power (both 17 amp elements on) it will keep the coach comfortable down to 20 degrees."

If you wish to read the whole thread, then go here:  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,507.msg2773.html#msg2773

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:27:41 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Pat,
If the Comfort Hot system is turned on with the main switch, you just turn the wall mounted thermostat to heat and the system will heat the coach. The main switches will vary depending on installation. Most of them are located in or near the main 120 volt breaker box. Some will be just an on or off for the Comfort Hot and others will give you the choice of A/C or Comfort Hot. The Comfort Hot system will work regardless of weather the Hurricane system is turned on or off.

Gerald   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:55:01 PM by Gerald Farris »

Pat Long

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:13:40 AM »
That seams to be the case Gerald.  I can turn on the Comfort Hot at the back of the coach in bedroom closet.  It does heat up the water, and when I turn on the thermostat the circulation pumps will not come on to cycle the water.   That is where I am wondering if someone had run into the same problem.  I have yet to test the control board at the thermostat terminals to see if I have voltage calling for heat.  That may be where I am having the problem..   The original digital thermostat is still in coach, and seams to work fine when AC is on.  Also the 2 other thermostat's (analog) are also still being used.

Thank You again for your time Gerald and to the rest of the forum.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
Pat,
When the Comfort Hot system was added to the coach, a relay should have been added to the Hurricane (usually external to and beside the Hurricane control board) to turn on the circulation pump at any time that a thermostat calls for heat. If you do not have that relay, the circulation pump will only run when the Hurricane system is running. If you have the relay and it is defective, just replace it. If it was never installed, call Jim Rixen and he will give you wiring instructions to add one. It is a cheap and simple addition.

Gerald 

Pat Long

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 03:35:12 AM »
Thank You Gerald.   Do you have Jims number?   All that is present on the Hurricane bay is the factory Hurricane panel itself.  Should I post some pics so you can look at what I have to be sure?

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:55:13 AM »
Thank You Gerald.   Do you have Jims number?   All that is present on the Hurricane bay is the factory Hurricane panel itself.  Should I post some pics so you can look at what I have to be sure?

Not Gerald but I think this is the number for the shop!   (800) 925-6260
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Pat Long

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 12:53:04 AM »
Thank You to all the information in reguards to my Comfort Hot not working.  NOW it does.  After talking to Jim Rixen and his coaching there was some mixup in several wiring connections.   Provided a pic via email and he could see my application and corrected the mis wiring on the zone board and relays.  I Now have heat without the Diesel Burner.  Camping neighbors are Thankful Also.

One again Thank You to All in this forum for input and advice.