Author Topic: GPS for RV's  (Read 5686 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
GPS for RV's
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »
Does anyone use a GPS for RV's on their I-Phone/I-Pad?  If so which one and why do you do you like what you have?  I see Rand McNally has one that sounds good but would l like to hear from others about their experiences.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Pat Long

Re: GPS for RV's
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 04:47:18 AM »
Since your rig is over 13 feet tall I would look into either an RV app or commercial trucking app.  Certain roads, and bridge overhead clearance to be aware of around the country.

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »
We are using the Garmin RV GPS. It calcs the route based upon the specs you enter for your specific rig, length, height, & weight. It also has an ample listing of RV parks............

Pat Long

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 01:18:29 AM »
You would not believe how many truckers are using GPS designed for auto use.  Thats why you still see on youtube truckers hitting bridges to this day.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/bus/bus-map.html       For some who would like to see the CA 45' bus routes, just click on the provided link

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:04:08 PM »
Tom we use a Garmin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator, the unit checks route for your height. I also like this better then using the cell phone we have a much larger screen/voice and we are not using up time with Verizon.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
We also use the Garmin 760 LMT but we also like to use the Google maps on the iPhone especially when we get close to the destination just to make sure we take the most direct route if we can discern a difference and see a clear route.The Garmin will take you away from any obstacles like low bridges,etc but it has taken us out of our way several times and led astray a couple times altogether so we try to double-check the route from time to time.

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:05 AM »
We purchased GoPilot.  It was on sale for $39.99. Our first use will be in early September when we travel from MN to the rally in Door County, WI.  It allows us to enter our RV dimensions and it is on our I-PAD. 
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 04:36:13 AM »
Might you have purchased CoPilot instead of GoPilot? GoPilot is a completely different travel aid....
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Bill Englund

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 12:24:39 AM »
Several years ago I stopped using my iPhone & iPad for navigation. They got hot when on for an extend period of time. Plus, they burn a bunch of data when continuously used for navigation.

I've switched to using the Rand McNally GPS (rv version), and have used it all over the country, for several years, and it's ok. You just have to learn it's shortcomings. Meaning, after it got me lost in Kansas, I always look at, and have a paper map handy. Also, I always have my iPad handy so I can look at the sat view on Google Maps of where I'm going (that saved me from ending up on a dirt farm road in North Carolina).

When I had a 32' motorhome I was more casual about where I was going, as turning the rig around, was no big deal. Now at 45', I pay a whole lot more attention, as running a big rig through downtown New Orleans or San Francisco isn't fun! Both of those cases were not the fault of navigation, but because of detours .... which navi units won't help you with, but iPad/iPhone navigation will, because they will tell you current conditions.

Also, if you get stopped on the interstate, with  a iPad/iPhone you can go on the state transportation web site, and in conjunction with the highway patrol web site, you can find out what's going on ahead of you and the "dedicated" navigation units don't do that.

So when it's all said and done .... use what works for you, as everything has it's shortcomings comings. At one time or another you will get screwed up following ANY navigation system ... guaranteed!

Beyond a navigation app, one of the must have apps is TUCKERS TOOLS. It's fuel station info can't be beaten. After giving you pricing, it gives you plenty of information to help you decide where to get fuel - # of pumps, how much parking, other services, etc. And, the app can help you with route planning and a bunch of other things. Gas Buddy is still a great app, but it's not as focused to big rig needs.

Plus, take a look at the new version of RV TRIP WIZARD. It's really come a long way and is now really a "must use" when planning a trip. While it won't help with navigation, on the road, it will help with navigation planning before you get in your rig to leave.

Bill Englund
2008 Country Coach Affinity 45'
600 Cummins
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jeffprupis

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
We use Garmin 760 LMT and Google maps on iPhone. GPS is great for long distance, however I find google maps more accurate for final approach (<2-3 miles)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »
We use a Rand-McNally when cruising.  It shows speed versus speed limits, warns about sharper corners, altitude, rest areas, etc.  Like Jeff, we use Google Maps on final approach and in larger cities where we have to change highways.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »
I use a Rand McNally and also Google Map on my Galaxy s7, found that the Rand setup for this PT size and height will worn about low bridges, not a problem out west but this year back here in the east I've found a few low ones and also weight limit bridges. Google map will not show any of these, just the shortest/fastest route.