Author Topic: Condenser Fan  (Read 3897 times)

Steve Funk

Condenser Fan
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:45:56 AM »
While doing the Bill Sprague re-wire on my headlights to get more light out of the headlights, works perfectly and thank you Bill, I notice a wire to my Condenser Fan looked burnt a bit so I replaced that round connector and fixed it up. 

My question is "What is the "Condenser Fan", where is it and what does it do?  I need to identify if it works due to the burnt wire and what appears to be a faulty post in the forward run bay the wire was connected to.  I attached the new wire connecter to a spare post on the power strip that was just above the original location.

Thanks

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Condenser Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »
Steve
The condenser fan blows air across the condenser coils for your dash air conditioner.  If the wire is bured then I woild check the fan motor.  If the motor is shorted it will draw too much power.  For me it is better to disconnect that wire and verify the motor works.
Just my two cents.
Good luck
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:03:50 AM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
I note yours is an '06 Monterey like ours, Steve.  The condenser fan helps remove heat from the dash air conditioner circuit, similar to the engine radiator's purpose to coolant.

The fan on ours slipped it's poorly-designed moorings when the coach was new and banged up some condenser fins pretty good, and wound up hanging by its wires.  A shop built improved brackets under Monaco warranty. 

Check your fan's integrity by looking through the grilled bay cover, streetside rearmost - it's mounted in front of the radiator.  If needed for access, the grill swings up after removing two hex screws along its bottom edge corners.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:28:03 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »
Above your head on the inside of the front electrical bay door is the schematic showing Ac condenser fan relay location. Replace the relay, should be a 40 amp, before reconnecting that wire. Also printed on the wire it should read condenser fan. If so you could use a jumper wire from a positive post to that fan wire and confirm the fan is running in front of the radiator.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Steve Funk

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Very good, thank you guys.  Now that I know what I am looking for I have a little project.  Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

My next project is replacing the fuel filter with the new improved electric pump and fuel water separator Dave Atherton has explained so well.  Hopefully that will improve the low load surging I have been experiencing since we bought the coach in 2015.  It would nice to get a little better than 6 MPG too.   

Steve

Steve Funk

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »
Just to follow up.  I have confirmed the Condenser Fan is shot.  The motor is hot and drawing to many amps so replacement is needed.  I think it is a 16" fan so now to find one and do the replace and repair.

Any ideas as to the difficulty of this project?

Thanks
Steve

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
It is not hard to do, just be sure and understand what you have now and try and buy the same unit with the same mounts. Roughly same CFM/blade count if the same is helpful. I think this page may have what you need. I think they supplied Beaver with components.

http://acmeairparts.com/rvacheaterparts.php

It is important that the integrity of the electrical connections and wiring is maintained given a failure allows excessive pressure build up that causes the compressor to struggle and overheat. If the fan has been drawing excess current I would also consider changing the thermal breaker that feeds it while I verify the wiring and connections are good. Hope this helps.

Later Ed