Author Topic: Two unrelated issues/questions.  (Read 2310 times)

jeffprupis

Two unrelated issues/questions.
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
#1 - Check Engine Light. Went on the other day. We were about 10-15 miles from campground, so after stopping to check oil and coolant, we continued. Light went out on its own. Any way to determine cause?

#2 - House water pump starts out intermittently "chug, chug, chug, then flows fine. Any ideas?

TIA

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Two unrelated issues/questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:02:41 PM »
I replaced the fresh water pump about 1 3/4 years ago.  I don't recall if it was acting up, but one day it just wouldn't come on.  I assume the pump was new with the coach - 2004 model year, manufactured in 2003.  I don't know the expected life of those pumps, but it was most of 13 years old and was likely just ready to be changed.  I checked the power feed and connections to the pump before the replacement and found them to be good.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »
A common cause is if coolant in the expansion tank is at a minimum level and relatively cool, theoretically on the road it can dip away from the sensor in the side of the tank enough to briefly trigger the warning lamp.  If the level is where it should be in the tank relative to being hot or cold, and no hose, fitting, or tank leaks are found, then the problem is elsewhere and harder to find.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Russ Mann

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:58:37 PM »
Concerning the fresh water pump "chug chug chug", I would suspect the back flow valve is sticky causing the water pump to regain its prime first. You may also be sucking air from a partially open drain petcock near the water pump.

On the coolant, I kept having a low coolant problem to the point where it would cause the CAT to reduce power to limp mode. Thought I checked everywhere for a leak and couldn't find it. Ran the engine up to temp and found the 2" hose from the tank was seeping coolant very very slowly. Replace hose and no more problems. Don't know if it relates to your issue but something else to check. Always learning on this site.