Author Topic: Magnum Energy's Automatic Generator Start  (Read 8997 times)

John and Judy Gardner

Magnum Energy's Automatic Generator Start
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
Need help with setting this up, wife and I go dry camping often, all I want is for the genny to start when the batteries get low, it seems that when I set it up, it works fine in the evening but during the day the genny will run for the hour that I have it set for shut off for a couple of minutes then restart, the batteries show that they have a good charge. So I shut off the EGS until the evening, seem to do ok, I just don't think I should have to do that. I was wondering if one of the batteries may be bad and could be cause.

Thanks

John
2005 Beaver Santiam

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Re: Magnum Energy's Automatic Generator Start
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »
Hi John. We are experiencing that exact same problem with our 2007 Beaver Contessa (Onan 8000 QD). We have had several other owners look at it with no results. We have an appointment Monday in Elkhart to resolve it under warranty. I have heard from others that its a wiring/wire issue and that its a simple fix. I dont know if there is a technical bulletin out on this but MCC Tech can probably tell you.

I will let you know what I find out next week from the service center.

Ken
2007 Beaver Contessa
BAC members since 2006

John and Judy Gardner

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
Thanks Ken, I heard that it maybe that I need to let the genny run for a min of two hours, right now I have it set for one hour, I have problems understanding this as it seems to work fine in the evening hours, the problem is during the day time hours.

Thanks again,

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »
Hi John. They worked on it today. When we got back to our spot we plugged into 50 amp. About 6 minutes later the gen started. I turned it off and it started again a few minutes later.   I had to go in and turn off the auto-gen start program. Can't explain why it started after plugging in. It had been plugged in all day in the shop.

Item one on 0630 talk list with the tech.

ken
BAC members since 2006

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:58:37 AM »
Hi John. Well I have an answer but it might not help you. Our auto-gen start was wired so that the 'low battery' sensor was connected to the chassis batteries. As long as the chassis batteries were OK the gen would not start. It took about 3 minutes to run the sensor wire to the house batteries and it worked great. Ran the batteries down and it ran the hour it was set up to. Ran the batteries down again an hour later and it started right up and ran the one hour.

This doesn't appear to be your problem as yours works somewhat during the day but not at night.

Check the following. The 'quiet time' hours. The temperature setting (told to turn ours off unless we have a pet). Maybe turn the run time to 90 minutes or two hours.

Additionally. When looking at the remote readings in the hallway our batteries read 11.4 to 11.5 volts. Low enough to have the auto-gen start work. However, a check of the voltage at the batteries showed 11.9 to 12.0 volts. Just be aware there is a varience between the readout and actual voltage.

hope I've been of some help
BAC members since 2006

Charles Burden

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
Do you have two inverters?  Are both set on AGS?  If so turn off AGS on one of the inverters.  If they are both set to AGS when one turns it off the other will turn it on if they are not exactly the same.

John and Judy Gardner

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
Hi Charles, No I only one Inverter, Ken where do I find that sensor wire to check to see which batteries the AGS is hooked to??

Thanks