Author Topic: DISH Network 'pay-as-you-go plan'  (Read 5655 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
DISH Network 'pay-as-you-go plan'
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
We have installed a conversion kit on our Beaver that changes the satellite receiver/antenna from DirecTV to DISH Network with the intention of using their 'pay-as-you-go' service for RVs. As I understand it, it's operates like a prepaid cell phone. You purchase 30 days at a time, and then you have the option to renew or just let it lapse. And then you can use the same account to pay at later date and activate it again for 30 days or more.

Do I understand correctly? What company provides this service?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

George H. Wall

Re: DISH Network 'pay-as-you-go plan'
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
Can you tell us more about the CONVERSION KIT? Very interested!

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
Had pay as you go for awhile and yes you pay for a month then they bill you ea month. In my case they would send several "late" notices when I didn't pay and it took a month (next billing) for them to automatically  resolve it. I called to find out why this was and they said the system just worked that way Of course that was 2 years ago .. maybe its different now. The only problem was if I wanted to restart before the account "resolved" itself , within that month I was "delinquent", I had to call customer service because online it would pay the "back"month first.
How much was the Kit? I have someone who might be interested .. my understanding is the direct tv antenna can be converted cheaply ? but a original Dish network antenna can't be converted to direct.  , need a whole new antenna unit.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:14:54 PM by William Jordan »
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
Had pay as you go for awhile and yes you pay for a month then they bill you ea month. In my case they would send several "late" notices when I didn't pay and it took a month (next billing) for them to automatically  resolve it. I called to find out why this was and they said the system just worked that way Of course that was 2 years ago .. maybe its different now. The only problem was if I wanted to restart before the account "resolved" itself , within that month I was "delinquent", I had to call customer service because online it would pay the "back"month first.
How much was the Kit? I have someone who might be interested .. my understanding is the direct tv antenna can be converted cheaply ? but a original Dish network antenna can't be converted to direct.  , need a whole new antenna unit.

Thanks for the information. The kit was $255 from Winegard. All you need is a new reflector and a new LNB. The components are all over the internet, eBay, Amazon, etc. but direct from Winegard was the cheapest I could find.

It's my understanding that this service is through a third-part provider, not DISH itself. Is that correct? If so, whom?

Edit: Update.
I called Winegard, selected information about DISH Network from their menu and the lady told me they have a subsidiary called Pay-As-You-Go. She transferred me there and they explained the service, and asked me to call DISHFORMYRV 800-472-1039 which is a payment facilitator, and the actual account provider. They sold me a DISH HD receiver for $99 (I own it..not a rental), and told me to call them back when I have the box, and the conversion is complete, so that I can choose a plan (plans are at dishformyrv.com) and set up an account. The folks at Winegard told me they are not aware of any issues like you described, Bill. We shall see, eh?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:26:00 PM by Stan Simpson »
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

William Jordan

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
Thanks I'll pass the info on .. hopefully my experience wasn't the norm or they corrected the issue. 

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
Can you tell us more about the CONVERSION KIT? Very interested!

You need two parts from Winegard for the conversion. RP-SK11, and  RP-SK21. Here is a link to a manual for the DIY guys.

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/f/f5/2452138.pdf
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »
Update..the conversion to DISH and activation of the "pay-as-you-go" plan are both in place. Paid for one month today, it will expire and then it's my choice whether to renew for another month or wait and re-activate it on any other date..for a new month starting that day. So far I'm liking it. The TV looks the same and mostly the same programs.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley