Author Topic: Step not stopping  (Read 1565 times)

Joe DeWeese

Step not stopping
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:28:58 AM »
     I have a 2006 Monterey which we recently purchased.  When we bought the coach the entry step was working correctly.  However a few days after we purchased it the entry step began to not work properly.  It would extend and stow at the proper times, but when the motor ran to move the step either in or out it would not shut off.  When the step reached the position of all the way in or out the motor continued to run making a sound of crashing gears.
     I looked under the coach and found what I'm led to believe is a magnetic switch which had become unglued from the metal frame of the step.  I reattached it with double sided tape in a position lined up with what appears to be the magnet.  However, the step motor continues to not shut off when the step is either all the way in or out. 
     In order to not burn out the motor or strip the gears I have unplugged the step.  I am looking for some ideas of what to try next.

Thanks for your help
Joe DeWeese

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Step not stopping
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
     Hi Joe,
 The magnetic switch that you reattached was for the dash light that indicates the step is extended. The magnet you are looking for is in the door edge and the switch is inside the jamb that lines up with the magnet. When that switch is activated it tells the control box to extend or retract the step. That switch goes to the brown wire that goes to the control box. The magnetic switch completes the "ground" that triggers the step operation.
  Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
   Hey Joe,
For a more detailed understanding of what is going on, go back to the Web site and click on Technical support then common problems. Scroll down subject areas and click on "Entry Step problems".
   Happy Trails, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »
I had the same issue with my steps. After closing them the motor would continue running for another 10-15 seconds. I ordered a new motor on Amazon and replaced it. Fixed the issue. I opened up the old motor assembly and some of the hard plastic bushings inside had deteriorated to just powder.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl