Author Topic: Hydro-hot Leak  (Read 4408 times)

Jerald Cate

Hydro-hot Leak
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:29:23 AM »
I've developed a slow leak on the connection for the hot water output on my Hydro-hot unit (HHE-500-07M).  I can see the leak if I put a mirror behind the unit but I can't tell if the connector has loosened up or cracked.  My old arthritic fluffy body just can't contort enough to get at the connector well enough to try and tighten it.  I noticed the back panel has screws on it, does anyone know if the back panel is removable to access the water connections?  I'd like some confirmation before I try and slither my body under the coach and attempt a fix.  Thanks.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Hydro-hot Leak
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Yes, the panel comes off and you can get to the connection on the back of the unit.  Normally, it is the elbow fitting that is loose.  Sometimes that fitting will break and needs to be replaced with an all metal fittings.

Good luck,
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »
Jerald,
If you get under there, could you take a picture of the back panel? Always thought of doing that, but didn't know what it would look like. Getting under the coach is not one of my favorite ideas.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:38 AM »
I nursed mine on our '04 Monterey along for several years when the plastic connection cracked.  The nursing involved putting a hose clamp on the "nut" that was cracked and tightening it slightly.  Finally, it failed completely and I replaced it with a kit from Roger Berke.  It was still plastic, but a much more rugged version.   I would have preferred braided hose with metal ends, but I could not find the room. 

http://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/Hydro-Hot-Hot-Water-Line-Kit-Hydro-Hot-Hot-Water-Line-Kit.htm

It was all done from behind with the back panel removed.   
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Jerald Cate

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 02:43:58 AM »
I did get the panel off Karl, just a few sheet metal screws and it came off pretty easy.  That's where the fun stopped, I still couldn't get a good angle to get any torque or tool on the connector.  I think I would have to jack the coach up or put it on a lift to be able to get at the connection and since I'm not going there I'll just add it to my list for my next visit to the repair shop.

Stan, I've included a couple of pictures, hopefully they give you some perspective of how the panel is installed and one picture shows the rear panel removed.

Bill, thanks for the replacement part I'll pass that along to my repair shop.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:56:40 AM »
Thanks, Bruce..after saying I don't like crawling under the coach, I spend 4 hours today crawling under a 2003 Patriot, helping the owner install valve extenders so she can add a TPMS.

Look at this picture that you posted above. What is that thing I have the arrow pointing to? The propane tank?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerald Cate

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 01:43:51 AM »
Stan, yes that's the propane tank.  That and the generator exhaust make it almost impossible (for me) to get at the fittings without raising the coach.  The propane tank is only about 2 inches from the back of the Hydro-hot unit.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:09:25 AM »
Those pics are the same as mine.  I was trying to get to the mixing valve and couldn't get enough torque to even turn it to check it.  I also put that on my Winter maint. list.  Just no room under there.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

John Fearnow

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 01:02:56 AM »
After Ken told me how to get access by removing the panel in the back, I found mine was dripping from the elbow connector on the left side of the mixer valve as you look at it from the rear, the same aspect as displayed in the picture.  The connector could be twisted off by hand.  The plastic connector was not cracked but there is a plastic cone grommet inside of it that is snugged up against the brass valve fitting.  The grommet dissolves over time because of temp changes.  I got a couple from the hydro hot service tech working in the RV park we are staying at in Seattle area this summer. No water coming out of the bottom of the HH housing since replacing the grommet.  For once a no-cost fix on the HH!

John Fearnow
2002 Patriot-Thunder

Orman Claxton

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
If you have a leak at the plastic connectors. remove the entire fittings, purchase a stainless flexible line from a hardware store, install  line, problem solved.