General Boards > Technical Support

ABS TAG Axle Warning

(1/1)

Larry Fisk:
My ABS TAG warning light has started indicating on my dash warning lights. I stop and shut the engine off, then it goes away when I restart the engine. Then later down the road appears again. It does not seem to affect the coach operation but it is puzzling to me that it clears when the coach is stopped and then reappears. Anyone else have this problem, any ideas are appreciated. I just had new tires put on in Oregon and the engine serviced. We are now in Southern California for the Holidays. Thanks my friends and I hope you are all having a great Christmas season.  :)

Gerald Farris:
Larry,
The way that most ABS systems work, is that they run a system check when the ignition is turned on and if the controller is functioning properly and all wheel speed sensors have the proper resistance, no codes are set and no ABS light is turned on.

When you start driving the ABS controller looks at the output of each wheel speed sensor, and if they do not match without the brakes being applied, the controller will turn on the ABS light because it can not control wheel lock-up unless it knows the exact speed of each wheel.

Under the conditions that you described, it sounds like there is a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors. It could be as simple as adjusting the air gap on a sensor, but it will probably require a scanner that will read codes from the system and real time data to properly diagnose the problem. Unless it is something fairly obvious like a broken wire to a wheel speed sensor or a melted sensor from a badly overheated brake, ABS problems usually require professional technicians for repair because of the necessary tools and experience that is required.

Gerald

Larry Fisk:
Thank you Gerald.  Is there an RV Service Business in the Ventura County area of California that anyone can recommend to fix this problem? Thanks again Gerald for this information. I will get this repaired after the Holidays.

Richard And Babs Ames:
You might be better off going to a truck frame and axle shop. They work on your type of problem on a daily basis. If you find a parts store that sells large vehicle parts (not the chains except maybe NAPA) they can probably get you to a reputable repair point.

Maybe http://www.rvservicereviews.com

Larry Fisk:
Thank you Richard, That is a great idea. It's funny how things happen. I had my tires replaced and it looks like a sensor needs replaced for ABS on the tag axle. I also had the engine cooling system flushed and replaced with CAT extended life coolant and now my engine temp. gauge on the dash display quit working also. Take care of two problems, get two more. That's life in an RV isn't it. At least these are not major repairs. Thanks again my friends!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version