Author Topic: No Puddle Awning Toppers  (Read 9063 times)

Tim Bentley

No Puddle Awning Toppers
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:21:21 AM »
The puddle of water that gets trapped on top of the awning every time it rains has long aggravated those of us who have Carefree of Colorado Awning toppers. Here is a solution that works and can be done by anyone who has at least some DYI skills.  

We will call this the The Bentley’s Self Bailing Awning Topper Solution.  We have done only one awing on our coach at this time, but will soon do all of them.  This has yet to be tested over time but we think that it will last.  The beauty of this fix is that it deploys every time you open the slide with no work on your part.  If you have questions about, or improvements to what we have done, post them on this thread and we will respond to them.

If you can not read the instructions we are working on a better set that we can email to you.  Use the email link with this post.

Hope this works for you

Tim
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:17:16 PM by 1 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: No Puddle Awning Toppers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:21:04 AM »
WELL DONE!!! I don't have toppers on my 2002 but if I did I would do that. Wonderful idea and great instructions with pictures. Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:31:02 AM »
Tim and Diana,

Nicely done. As we tossed this idea about awhile ago, I wondered why it took so long for this idea to surface. Now that you have had success it should begin to have a life of its own.....the how to post was excellent also.

Regards Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
On edit, I'm going to call mine the "Sprague's Quick, Dirty, Easy and Holey" slide topper puddle solution.

WOW!  I am impressed.  When I posted my "holey" solution several weeks ago, I had no idea it could improved to such a high level of sophistication.  Very well done!  I'm looking forward to seeing it. (But not in action because there will be no rain at rallies I go to.)

For those that didn't read it, in a fit of puddle frustration, I took an electric soldering iron topside and melted a bunch of small holes in my toppers.  My inspiration was seeing a fifth wheel with toppers made out of mesh instead of fabric.  I made the assumption that toppers are primarily for dirt because rain always gets under the ends anyway.  I've now "tested" it in the rain a few times and it is working well.  

Tim, I only invested about 30 minutes in my low grade version.  How much time do you have invested?

Have you had it in a rain or two yet?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:29:28 PM by 149 »

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
We have not had the slide toppers in the rain yet.  We live in Southern California so it may be a long time before we get a good test.

I took us most of a day to complete the one slide but should be able to do the other two in one day.  That includes the time to take the awning off the coach and replace it.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
I tested the "Sprague's Quick, Dirty, Easy and Holey" slide topper puddle solution this weekend in Anacortes.  It worked perfectly.  No water collected on the canvas and no slide leaks.  We had wind, drizzle and some occasional serious rain.  When I pulled the slides in there was no flood either!

My friend next to me in a Monaco nearly got drenched when he was walking near his rig when a gust driven wave spilled over the end of the cavas.  He moved fast enough to not get drenched and only got a little mud splached on his Wranglers.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 01:43:59 AM »
We did test our drain system in Albuquerque, had a light rain on several days and the awning with the drain stayed dry.  It was interesting as we had snow and ice the night before we were to leave for FMCA and many had problems getting their awnings in.  My bedroom slide (no drain yet) had a frozen puddle and would not come in without a lot of work.  The slide with the drain came in with no problem as it was dry.  It was interesting that the coaches with the Girard awnings also had trouble, the mechanism on those froze and they would not roll up.  Made me feel good that mine came in.  We will be doing the remaining two slide toppers next week, will let you know how that comes out.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »
Quote from: Tim Bentley Co-Admin
We did test our drain system in Albuquerque, had a light rain on several days and the awning with the drain stayed dry.  It was interesting as we had snow and ice the night before we were to leave for FMCA and many had problems getting their awnings in.  My bedroom slide (no drain yet) had a frozen puddle and would not come in without a lot of work.  The slide with the drain came in with no problem as it was dry.  It was interesting that the coaches with the Girard awnings also had trouble, the mechanism on those froze and they would not roll up.  Made me feel good that mine came in.  We will be doing the remaining two slide toppers next week, will let you know how that comes out.
Glad to hear it worked well!  What methods were used to get rid of the ice puddles and free the frozen mechanisms?  I've hooked up a hose to the outside shower, run the Hydro-Hot and climbed up on the roof to melt the ice.  It can be impressive on a cold morning because lots of steam is generated.  But it is messy because lots of water gets on the ground.

Jim Wasson

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
Tim;
When you get a chance I would like to have copy of the e-mail instructions (jnbwasson@yahoo.com).  This is a great idea, when we were ready to leave ABQ we too had frozen puddles (1/2" thick ice) on our C of C toppers, obviously the slides wouldn't come in and was a pain to remove.
Just a quick comment about this Forum.  In the year that we have had our 2004 Santiam we have used the group to assist in removing he "Head Knocker" front TV with a nice and out of the way flat screen and replace the sensor on the air pressure warning device, now this comes along at a good time.  Normally in Arizona rain and ice aren't a problem but your resolution is a must do for us.
Thanks again to everyone in the forum that provides good information for us "neophytes"
Best regards,
Jim

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 01:11:44 AM »
Its about time for an update on my no puddle awning toppers.  One of the problems with living in Southern California is that there is not much rain, so its took a long time for a good test.  At the Xmas rally in Columbia, CA we had two days and nights of rain, I might add that it did not spoil a great rally.   The drains preformed perfectly, when I climbed on the roof to check before leaving, all three awnings were dry.  Its real easy to forget that the drains are there, they are still in good shape despite several good wind storms.  There have been no problems when the awnings are rolled up and the drains drop each time the slides are extended.  

When we did the other two awnings we ran the drains both to the front and the back with a hole punched about every 18 inches.  We found that with water no longer puddling on the awnings the the low point in not always in the center.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:36:43 AM by 14 »

Per Mogensen

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
Great idea, will do that when the 1/2 inch of ice melt on the top of our slide out awning.  :)

Or at least the low tech version by burning a hole in the canvas.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »
Thank you Tim for your update.  And in the spirit of the forum will do the same since I did it differently.

If you review the thread, I melted many small holes in the toppers with a small soldering iron.

We camp hosted in the wind and rain at Ft. Flagler State Park for a couple months in the spring and another in the fall.  I never had to deal with puddles.  The toppers stayed dry.  

One worry was that the melted holes might unravel.  That has not been an issue.  

There is no question that Tim's solution is far more elegant than mine.  But, both seem to stop the irritating puddles.

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:36:00 AM »
Tim,

Very good job and an elegant solution. Maybe some awning fabric makers will read this forum post and provide an innovative product like this with stitching out of a quality thread material that does not fall apart......we might even buy one if they did.

later Ed