Author Topic: Washington/Oregon Advice  (Read 10280 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Washington/Oregon Advice
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
The north and south coasts each have their own personalities.  Each holds special meanings to me, a native Oregonian that was digging razor clams as a 6 year-old and whose grandfather owned a beach motel; and at 13 whose elder brother taught how to adeptly dodge breakers to catch redtail perch off Yachats rocks, and who at 35 caught salmon and sole from his cruiser, crossing the bar out of Astoria.  Last fall we refamiliarized ourselves with Netarts Bay Garden RV Park, and it's still a favorite for gunk-holing the Tillamook area, as is the county park out of Barview on the north jetty.

Though the north provides some fond reminisces, in more recent times (decades) we've accumulated some very favorite spots more to the south.  Of course many here tout Winchester Bay south of Reedsport and we agree.  As small towns go, Bandon tops our list;  we sometimes overnight at the RV park on the river in Coquille, east of Bandon, but usually stay a few days at Robins Nest RV Park off 101 south of Bandon and toad the area.  Bullards Beach S.P. Is just north of town also.  Don't miss Face Rock, or the museum in town - we've yet to check out the latest incarnation of the cheese factory outlet near the museum.  Great Bandon Cheese was made there before Tillamook bought it out and closed the factory, but it's been resurrected by new owners.  Hopefully it's as marvelous as it used to be.  Then of course there's the cranberry farms and the world class golf. 

I like walking the beach at the Sixes River mouth.  Including that, there's plenty to see and do operating out of Cape Blanco S.P.  The Cape is the westernmost point of the Continental U.S.  The road as you head south is less crowded, especially in fall.  But it can get twisty is places (Humbug Mtn. comes to mind) as it winds up and down and around mountainous terrain that pushes up against the sea more than up north.  There are many pull outs and the views from so close to and above the ocean can be spectacular. 

As we cross the bridge over the Rogue at Gold Beach, we like to turn right and head to Oceanside RV Park next to the airport and south jetty.  Although an older park, it's not crowded and is close to everything.  Take Jerry's Jetboats up the river to Agness where the Illinois River comes in.  Later you may opt to take the coach along the south side of the Rogue up to Agness RV Park for a night.

We enjoy Harris Beach S.P. just north of Brookings, which as you may know is a fair sized town.  Though the entire south coast can bear the brunt of Pacific winds, Brookings attracts retirees due to its warmer climes.  As I recall it claims fame as World Easter Lily capital.

All this being said, depending on how soon you're going you should be aware that the air quality down there is presently not the best.  The Chetco Bar fire is so close to town they nearly evacuated last weekend.  Another fire at Crater Lake may not help, depending on winds.  They project the huge Chetco Fire won't be out until the October rains arrive.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:34:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
3. US101:  Actually, Shelton is on US101.  I would ask if your plan is to stay on US101 going on 8-12 to Aberdeen, then South along the Washington Coast and cross the Columbia River to Astoria, or go down I-5 to Longview, cross the Columbia River there, then go West to get on US101.  Either way you will get to Astoria and get to US101 in Oregon.  The Astoria bridge is a long one - ten miles or so across the mouth of the Columbia River.  We have driven US101 from Coos Bay to Astoria (South to North) in our Beaver with the Avalanche in tow (about 72 feet long).  The problem with the North Oregon Coast is traffic, much of it being from the Willamette Valley cities from Portland to Eugene.  They drive fast and follow close.  They also seem to want to ride bicycles on the road.  US101 in Oregon doesn't have a forgiving edge.  In most places the white fog line is about one foot from the bar pit.  This causes a big problem when you come upon bicycles!  Also, there are a couple tunnels that will get your attention, not to mention some beautiful scenery.  I have not been on US101 South of Coos Bay since the 1960s.
Thanks David, the route I was asking about was US101 south from Shelton and then US199 from South of Brookings up to Grants Pass and then Cave Junction.  Sounds like it's going to be in the white knuckle category.  I have a hard time enjoying that kind of drive when I can't really look at the scenery because I'm concentrating on the road.  Will evaluate the Olympic info you shared and decide on a plan.  Thanks again.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »
I spent a few minutes "walking" up US199 (aka the Redwood Highway) from South of Brookings to Grants Pass using Google Maps.  Interestingly, the Google camera car was following a large truck.  So, large trucks use that road, and that's a good sign.  The road looked to be in very good shape, but perhaps not so much edge on the hillside sections where it closely follows the Smith River.  I will say I have been on much narrower and more crooked roads without a problem.  I did see a few 30 mph signs in front of sharper corners.  Much of the southern part of the US199 road is sidelined by thick forest, so there won't be much viewing off the road anyways.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:03:08 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 06:26:01 PM »
It's been a couple of years since we did 199 from Grants Pass to the 101 coastal Hwy, we made the trip during the winter as I-5 was closed (3 days)  I had no problem with the 199 road you will have a couple of sharp turns but if you follow the posted signs you'll have no problem.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 03:24:22 AM »
I might be a little late here, but hwy 199 is closed to "Motorhomes over 40'" from Crescent City to the Oregon border, according to road signs posted at either end by Cal-Trans. I've driven it in our 40' Pat, met an oncoming 5th wheel at the 'crux' 20 mph curve, we both squeaked thru-he was on the river side......
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."