Author Topic: Norcold LRIM Replacement  (Read 5428 times)

Bart Mix

Norcold LRIM Replacement
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:11:23 AM »
In preparation for our next trip west to Albuquerque for the Hot Air Balloon Fest, I decided to take the plunge & replace our Norcold 1200LRIM with a Samsung RF18. I decided to do the work myself & have no regrets with that decision. I bought the refer on sale from Lowes over the Labor Day Holiday & was able to take advantage of my military service discount & free delivery.
I removed the Norcold from its location & left it in the RV. It took about an hour to remove & another 3-4 hours to put in a new floor for the Samsung. We had 2 storage drawers under the Norcold which my wife said I could eliminate so the new refer’s top shelf could still be reached by her. We have the Aqua Hot register under the refer floor & not a furnace, so no clearance issues.
I removed the doors from the Norcold, & removed both front seats & propped open the entry door for the Lowe’s delivery team. They had not made such an installation before but when I showed them the clearance measurements & after they removed the Samsung doors it was an easy fit. The Norcold is slightly wider in depth than the Samsung as I had not removed the cooling unit. Easy out & easy in without an issue. We have an optional stationary kitchen island & while the Norcold had room to maneuver past it we had to remove the front kick plate from the Samsung in order to get it past the island.
I took an additional 4 hours or so to anchor the refer, trim out around the refer, replace the seats, test the ice maker, & 2 trips to Lowes for odds & ends, etc.
I tested it out on our Invertor (MSW) via our battery power & our 6 solar panels & all worked well. I intend to initially run it off of the old Ice Maker (GFIC) outlet, but have a second non-GFI outlet available to use if necessary? We typically leave our Inverter on 24/7 & we do a lot of dry camping. I made an upside down U shape wooden fixture as an easy 3 door locking device.
I plan to scrap the bulk of the unit but not sure what parts to salvage in which outers may need? I would appreciate input from others as I hate to toss things in which others may not be able to find as replacement parts. I also have a brand new APR ( https://www.arprv.com/ ) which I purchased, but never installed, if someone is interested in it?
Looking forward to cold beer & soft drinks, hard ice cream, better reliability & increased capacity.
I took good notes & lots of photos for anyone interested!
Bart from VA
03 Beaver Monterey
GMC 2500HD 4x4 in tow
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fritz, Jim Nichols, Bob Stone

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Norcold LRIM Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
Bart,
Sounds like a nice install. You and DW will be happy with it. Be careful with the U shaped locking mechanism. If there is ANY play between the doors and freezer drawer, the device can dent the door skins since the reefer doors and freezer drawers will move a bit when traveling and hitting bumps or going around curves. I had this problem with ours so we started using a velcro strap on the reefer doors and a bungie cord on the freezer doors when traveling. No more problems.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Steve Funk

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
Bart, you are going to love the new refer.  Be sure to lock the doors, as the freezer will fly open when rolling down the road and mess it up.  If you haven't purchased a locking mechanism take a look at this idea, https://www.recubed.solutions/, to me it is a perfect solution.  I used a different latch that works well but this looks better.

The bins from the old nocold will come in handy to keep foods from moving around in the refer too.  I use small spring loaded curtain rods to keep bottles and cans from falling forward in the refer when traveling.

I saved the cherry wood door panels from mine.  Not sure what I will do with them but nice to have the matching materials.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:55:46 PM by Steve Funk »

Bart Mix

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
Steve, I made the wooden block to fit snugly, but I will keep a close eye on it. Another member just posted a unique lock which I may order & have it shipped to me somewhere on our travels? Thanks for the advice!
One thing I found did surprise me upon the Norcold removal. I had previously observed a small amount of fiberglass insulation near the bottom right side of the Norcold. When I pulled out the Norcold I found burnt/melted insulation foil well above the lower outside wall mounted heat diversion plate (just above the outside access panel). None of the melted insulation areas could be seen prior to the Norcold removal. I think by replacing the Norcold at this time I could have been avoiding a fire disaster?
Bart from VA
03 Beaver
GMC 2500HD towed