Author Topic: Flooring question:  (Read 2747 times)

Jesse Bufford

Flooring question:
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
We want to install a small swivel pedestal chair on the passenger side in front of dining space  on our 2002 Patriot.  Can anyone tell me if we need to be concerned about hitting anything such as wires or such in the flooring? We intend to drill all the way through into the cargo bay to install the bolts. Any information on the floor construction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
Re: Flooring question:
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:28:24 AM »
Jessee:  My 98 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' has a channel in the floor where they ran 115vac romex cables from the refrigerator area up to the console/stand behind the passenger seat.  It is "very roughly about 12" from the inside wall.

One more thing. If your floor plan is anywhere near mine, if you drill through the floor you cannot get under there to put on a nut unless you can do it with the slide extended.  You need to check that access and clearance first underneath. I think where you plan to drill that you will miss the fuel tank since it is between the rails. If you do decide to drill, I always start with a tiny bit (like 1/8") then put some masking tape on the bit at the depth you want. With a helper underneath, drill carefully. If you hit tin or metal I think you will know that way.

I had the same problem that you did. I solved it by purchasing a very nice leather lightweight swivel chair that swivels on a round stand that just sits of the floor wherever you place it. I slide it against the wall for more aisle space when we travel. I have used that now over 10 years and just love it.  It is easy to move for cleaning and access behind it and it does not migrate on the floor or tip over ever even the roughest of roads.  Best of all, the install time is ZERO.

Whatever you do, you will love the new chair. Gives you a direct view to the front TV over the driver seat in mine.

Larry Fritz

Larry Fritz

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
Jesse, We purchased a swivel recliner from Lambright Furniture in Shipshewana IN and it had pedestal just as Larry mentioned. They do the covering in numerous fabrics and matched our captains chairs which we just had recovered by firm in Yuma AZ. We had the recliner in electric in stead of manual and would do manual if we did again as the electric cord seemed to always be unplugged as we moved chair to open or close slides. Cost was $800.00 for ours and it sits so comfortable you could go right to sleep, as I most often did. You do not have to have swivel.

Floor on our 2004 marquis was 5/8" plywood under the floor coverings and about a 1/4" foam board below it before you came to a thin metal on the exterior side of the floor under the coach. We drilled several holes thru it while installing in floor heat pex tubes.

Steve Funk

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:45:33 PM »
Jesse, we did the same as you on our 06 Monterrey.  However we installed the swivel recliner on the drivers side just infront of the dining table.  That slide is a bit wider and the chair fits better there than the passanger side of our coach.  I, as mentioned, too just move the chair when travelling and did not secure it so it moves out from the wall a couple inches and bingo nap time.  Had Lambbright use the same material as the new Flexsteel Captains chairs we replaced at the same time. 

Jesse Bufford

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was out of town and just looked at responses. Our Ticonderoga does not have a slide on the passenger side. It does have the small cabinet with table top behind the passenger seat and the dining table is further back. That cabinet does have an ac outlet, so I will see if I can determine where it is running.  Looks like I will have to drill into the Hydro Hot insert metal if I drill. I have borrowed a cable type 1/4" mini camera that attaches to my phone so I can drill and then take a peek. I'm going to do some more investigating before I drill.  I appreciate the responses. I will post a reply if I see anything on the camera.

Jesse

Jesse Bufford

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
FYI,
I found the electric line just inside the floor about 8 inches from the side wall.  I redrilled my pedestal base(moved 2 holes over 1 1/2") and got all 4 bolts to come out inside the Hydro Hot bay. I found only Styrofoam in the floor channels. We now have an extra seat with seat belts for a grandkid.