General Boards > Technical Support

Storing an RV cover on the roof?

(1/1)

Larry and Heidi Lee:
I would like to hear from you clever Beaver owners some opinions or ideas regarding RV cover storage. Currently I carry my big, bulky, heavy cover on my shoulders up a ladder and pray I dont fall and die. I'm fortunate that I can hoist it up onto the garage roof first and then move it over to the RV. I no longer want to hoist the cover up and down a ladder and am trying to decide if I should store the cover on top of my garage or on top of the RV? Has anyone mounted a storage pod to their coach and if so what is involved? It would probably be easier to mount a storage pod to my garage roof but I dont like the gravel my shoes pick up from the asphalt shingles. Ideas? Thanks in advance!    ::)

Joel Ashley:
We had a pod on our old Pace Arrow, and it worked pretty well for us, as it stored bulky stuff and things not often needed.  Haven't seen too many on big diesels because of the larger available bay storage.  As long as it is properly installed and isn't too high, a pod would be a handy solution for you.  Another option - Camping World sells hoists now for just the purpose of lifting covers;  they attach to the top of the ladder.

-Joel

Tim Bentley Co-Admin:
We store our cover in a large Plastic trash can, but we do not take it with us.  When we remove the cover we gather it in the center of the roof and slip it over the front into the can.  To put the cover on we reverse the process.

Keith Moffett:
Roof leaks have been the bane of my existance for the first two coaches we owned and now with the Beaver as well thanks to 5 inches plus of rain.
Our first two coaches each had storage pods on the roof.  These had been fairly well mounted with L-brackets and bolts.  I believe they were well sealed at some point.  Very little flexing was needed to make them start leaking again.  
I my limited experience, I believe that fewer holes in the roof equals fewer leaks down the road.

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version