Author Topic: Aladdin screen input to overhead TV  (Read 1907 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Aladdin screen input to overhead TV
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
I'm getting ready to install a new TV in the cockpit above the driver's head. Changing from a Samsung 32" HD to a Samsung 40" HD, which is pretty much physically the same size as the old one. New technology has made the outside dimensions smaller on the new ones.

Since we've had the coach, we have never been able to have the Aladdin display on the TV. There are two cables left in the back of the TV cabinet from the old days. One is red white & yellow and is marked LCD, which I think was how the TV was connected before I switched to satellite and the HDMI port. There is also a RG-6 cable connected to the 'antenna' port on the current TV. I think its for cable TV at RV parks that have it available, although we have never tried that option.

Does anyone know how the output from the Aladdin is connected to the TV? When I select Auxiliary 1, 2, or 3 as a video source on the Aladdin, nothing happens, so I'm guessing there is no connection to the TV. If I have to run some kind of cable from the back of the Sony box (?) what would it be. How do I get the box out of the dash without completely removing the entire dashboard face-plate?

I have more questions that surfaced when I took the dashboard cover off that's in front of the steering wheel , in an attempt to see how the Aladdin is connected, and I will post them in another thread.

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Update: After removing the old TV, I found a component video cable lying loose and tucked in to a corner. I plugged the yellow 'video' cord in to the corresponding input on the TV and...VOILA! Input from the Aladdin to the TV. Now I can use the toggle switch next to the kitchen sink to check tank levels, electrical systems, etc.

I had that TV out once before and never saw the cable!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:46:12 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

Re: Aladdin screen input to overhead TV
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:49:31 PM »
It looks like there is a "Video Coach Monitor (VCM) located in the front run box (either on the passenger or driver side under dash access panel). This box contains the video switching and on-screen display electronics. Try to trace the wires behind your TV and see if that's where they go.

From the picture in the troubleshooting manual (which is not very clear), it looks like the video outputs are "composite cable" (i.e the red-white for sound and yellow RCA cables like the old VHS and DVD players used to connect to your TV). That would make sense as I don't think HDMI was invented yet when these coaches were built.

If your new TV does not have a composite input, you can get a composite-to-HDMI adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R9PP5P?psc=1 (the link is just for example. I don't know this brand).
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Aladdin screen input to overhead TV
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:18 PM »
It looks like there is a "Video Coach Monitor (VCM) located in the front run box (either on the passenger or driver side under dash access panel). This box contains the video switching and on-screen display electronics. Try to trace the wires behind your TV and see if that's where they go.

From the picture in the troubleshooting manual (which is not very clear), it looks like the video outputs are "composite cable" (i.e the red-white for sound and yellow RCA cables like the old VHS and DVD players used to connect to your TV). That would make sense as I don't think HDMI was invented yet when these coaches were built.

If your new TV does not have a composite input, you can get a composite-to-HDMI adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R9PP5P?psc=1 (the link is just for example. I don't know this brand).

See the update on my post, Mike. That was exactly the issue. Thanks!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad