Author Topic: Shower leaking underneath  (Read 3518 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Shower leaking underneath
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »
Hello.... its me again.  After solving the hydro-hot problem and running the shower for 10 minutes I discovered that the shower was leaking underneath the coach. I was hoping that it was the drain spout seal. So I put a hose to the drain, straight into it not letting water back onto the shower and.... it still leaked meaning I must have a busted pipe. What a bummer!  This is so frustrating. As far as I can tell the only way to get to it is from underneath the coach above the rear tires on the driver side.  Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Shower leaking underneath
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:55:05 AM »
Fred, access should be behind the shower inside the cabin drawers.  Remove the panel and it will give you access to the plumbing drain pipe.  It is probably cracked in "p" trap fitting.  BTW, this fitting is special to RV not a standard fitting.

Good luck,
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »
Fred, access should be behind the shower inside the cabin drawers.  Remove the panel and it will give you access to the plumbing drain pipe.  It is probably cracked in "p" trap fitting.  BTW, this fitting is special to RV not a standard fitting.

Good luck,
Karl,  there are no cabinet drawers behind my shower. One side of the shower is on the outside wall and the other side is on the bedroom wall, along which the slide moves.  The actual shower sets right over the rear tires.  I am hoping I can find an easy access. Thanks for commenting.
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
Fred,
The wall panel that backs up to the shower should be removable to access the fresh water plumbing to the shower.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:23 AM »
On our '04 Monterey, the mirror in the bedroom would peel off the Velcro that stuck it to the wall.  Then you could cut holes in the wall to access the shower plumbing.  It was amazing that they did it that way!  But they did!

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:54:50 AM »
On our '04 Monterey, the mirror in the bedroom would peel off the Velcro that stuck it to the wall.  Then you could cut holes in the wall to access the shower plumbing.  It was amazing that they did it that way!  But they did!

I just checked again with a flashlight. Appears there may be a possible access to the back of the shower by taking out some screws and removing section of the wall. That would expose the plumbing from the floor to the shower head. The problem I have is underneath the shower with the drain system, which removing a wall would not expose for access.
Fred & Cindy

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
Not the same coach, but our shower has a panel in the front, where you step out, and there is a plate there that appears to give access to the drain. I have never opened it (knock wood..no shower issues) but yours might have one like that too. The mirror in the bedroom comes off like Bill mentioned, and there is access to the plumbing that is up high.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:20:34 PM »
Not the same coach, but our shower has a panel in the front, where you step out, and there is a plate there that appears to give access to the drain. I have never opened it (knock wood..no shower issues) but yours might have one like that too. The mirror in the bedroom comes off like Bill mentioned, and there is access to the plumbing that is up high.

Stan
Wish that was the case for my shower.  Ours has no removable plate anywhere for access. It is on solid piece fiberglass shower. I talked to a repair shop and they are familiar with accessing from underneath.... above the rear tires.  He says there is an access panel there.  It should take 2-3 hours and he charges $105 per hour plus parts.
Fred & Cindy

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:07:57 AM »
 OK, after studying the situation more I decided to remove portion of the wall behind the shower that was screwed in and covered with decorative buttons. And... sure enough, there is a small access at the bottom, to the P-trap. As it turns out the P-trap was leaking and I was able to get a replacement at  Lowes. It was a bear because there is so little space to work with and it took a good while to take it off and put the new one on but the job is done. Thanks to everyone who commented here.
Fred & Cindy
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:56:41 AM »
Good news Fred!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 05:02:07 AM »
Great that its fixed, Fred. Tenacity pays off.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »
Well done Fred.  Since you worked it out and fixed it yourself you saved a couple hundred bucks, now you can treat yourself.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!