Author Topic: New Sofa Sleeper Replacement  (Read 5192 times)

Pat Long

New Sofa Sleeper Replacement
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
I currently have a Jack knife sofa sleeper in my 2000 Beaver marquis and am wondering if any have swapped out for a soft sleeper?  If so I would be interested in what you used, manufacture and model?  I am interested in a high quality replacement, and have seen a lot of off brand stuff out there, but nothing I like yet.   

Any help I do Appreciate, Thank You for All Your Time.

Pat

Bill Sprague

Re: New Sofa Sleeper Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:06:21 AM »
Our '04 Monterey came with a jackknife.  It was not comfortable to sit on or sleep on.  At a huge Monaco sponsored rally, BJ went into every new coach that was on display and sat on the couch.  She found one she liked and I agreed.   It was made by Flexsteel and, when folded out, had an air mattress inside.   At the show were a lot of vendors.  One was a RV furniture store in Vancouver, WA that sold Flexsteel.   They ordered and installed it for us. 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »
Pat, We're in the same boat (well, motorhome) and would like to replace the 'L' shaped sofa in our 2005 Patriot. Trouble is the height of the back of a recliner is generally 38" or 40" and the picture window starts at about 30" from floor. Here is one, not really a recliner, but does have footrests. Haven't seen it in person. http://www.flexsteel.com/product/bridgeport-4615-54cs

2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Pat Long

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
Thank You to you Both for your comments.  My existing sofa measures 73" wide X 35" deep.  I find many in that measurement, but my problem begins when I try to unfold the bed.  I have a small floor mount cabinet directly in front on the sofa and will not allow the proposed couch to make into a bed.  I need according to the manufactures layout, 75", and only have around 65" of clearance, because of that cabinet.  I guess I will have to keep what I have or just upgrade to a better style jack knife couch.   
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:07:27 PM »
There are several excellent outfits capable of modifying interiors to accommodate such endeavors.  It may not cost all that much to have the cabinet reconstructed accordingly, and usually no cost for an initial consult.  See your Beaver Tales for one of our capable sponsors or an FMC magazine advertiser near you.  Most have experience that can result in ideas you may not have yet considered.  Many here have had great work done by Bill Sizemore in Bend if that is geographically plausible for you.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Pat Long

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
Thank You Joel for the reply.  That cabinet has located under it, a heat register for the Hurricane heater.  I think I will leave that cabinet where it is and try to upgrade into a bigger jack knife sofa, if one is out there.  I am some what confined in space compared to the New coaches out there, but My Beaver quality is miles ahead of them.  Plus I can Work On Mine!!!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
Pat,
Here's what I did in our 00 Marquis to deal with the heat exchanger after removing a sofa. Might give you some ideas.  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4368.msg32988.html#msg32988
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Pat Long

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:03:54 PM »
Thank You Steve,      Very well done job.  I now have hardwood floors installed in the coach that meat up with that cabinet.  If I were to do that same configuration, which I really like, I would have to find the same hardwood flooring so as to match.  Do you have any pics of the job before install all opened up before the reframing.  It appears that the cabinet framing is attached to the wall and then covered with flooring material.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:03:58 AM »
Pat,
Thx for the kudos. I don't have any pics of the framing. I built it out of furring strips, covered it with 1/4" plywood and then glued the flooring to the plywood. It's attached to the wall with 2 screws.
The original flooring pics are available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xk5zndy8bpkhxnt/AABJw1IuT-IerHnH0Rho5M0ya
showing the job before we decided we didn't want 2 sofas.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Pat Long

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »
Steve Thank You for the air bag.  I am going to do the same build as you have done only in Cherry.  If I maintain a similar configuration I too can have a sleeper sofa.  Will have to contact BCS and purchase an extra flow through diffuser as you have done on your one end of the cabinet.  Just have to find the original Hardwood flooring that I have installed when the carpet was removed so I can rematch the new layout.  Thank You again for the lead, and air bag.

Pat