Author Topic: Fresh water Drain Valve Leaking  (Read 3282 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Fresh water Drain Valve Leaking
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
Hi Folks,
We are just getting ready to head out of pending winter in favour of warmer climes south. When dumping and refilling the fresh water tank I noticed my fresh water drain valve does not seem to be closing fully and is leaking some water. It has never been a problem and held water all summer so I was a tad surprised.  It opens and closes but does not fully seal. Can the seals be cleaned or replaced without removing the valve? and if not has anyone accessed this assembly. It appears to be contained in a metal box below the water tank on the bottom of the coach but it is covered in a sealant material. Is it the same valve as is used for the Grey and black tanks? If so I have some spare seals. Ie Drainmaster?
Any advice is appreciated.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Fresh water Drain Valve Leaking
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »
I believe they are the same valves.  Mine leaked and I crawled under the coach and wiped the seal real good, then applied a very small amount of Vaseline to the rubber (bottom side), then closed the valve.  No more leaking.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:14:58 AM »
Mine did the same when I opened it to drain the tank.  Drove me nuts (another story). I finally sprayed it with WD-40 silicone and it started working properly.  That was 2-3 years ago and I must admit I'm kind of afraid to open it again!  LOL
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

jeffprupis

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Ours is a separate valve. Small drip/leak. Plugged it with 2" mechanical rubber plug. I reach under and remove if I need to drain tank. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/37036704

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »
We also had leaks from time to time just like the Warren's cleaned it and put some vasilen on the seal no more problem

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I took a toothbrush and cleaned the seal while the gate was open then sprayed Teflon spray on the seal and the leak seems to be down to an occasional drip now. I will also do the Vaseline treatment when we stop next.
It is great to have this resource. Now if these damned Chinook winds would just die down (100Kms/hour) we can head south.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »
Hi Dwight,

I would be careful of any spray product they may actually cause degradation of the seals. The original valve lubrication was vaseline this was also the lubrication use on your waste dump valves.   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:37 AM »
I have no problem using Vaseline on these valve types, and agree with Jerry - I think some solvents or propellants in sprays aren't seal-friendly. 

But I also may use next time either silicon grease or Teflon grease.  Both should be available at bicycle shops.  Although designed for high speed and high heat devices like bike machinery, they would seem to me to offer sealing function via the grease, and lubricity via the silicone or the PTFE (Teflon), with no canned propellant or solvents.  Silicone grease in a small tub is tackier than Vaseline, whereas PTFE is more emollient and in a squeeze tube;  the silicone may be more able to stay put, whereas the PTFE might more readily creep its way into crannies, etc.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Pat Long