Author Topic: Driver's Side Slide creeping out while driving  (Read 9211 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Driver's Side Slide creeping out while driving
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59:53 PM »
Jerry,
have you tried having wife operate the slide switch while you listen around the chassis for the pump-motor/valve noise? Once you locate all the components you may be able to see where lines go, etc.

My 2005 manual has a picture of the Slide pump/valve assembly. Probably not the same as yours since our model years are different, but I post the picture here anyways.

BTW- give me a call (or PM me) if you need an extra set of hands. I'm just two miles down the road from you.
Mike, my leveler/slide hydraulics are different and mounted in a different place.  The way I found the hydraulic pump and reservoir was how you suggested.  I can see and feel the hose coming from the pump to the manifold move when the slide is activated.  I have seen documentation that shows the solenoids on the manifold operate the levelers.  Nothing that indicates how the slides are interfaced.  My main problem at this point is getting under the coach to figure out where the leak is and where it goes.  That has been my mission lately, to obtain the knowledge and materials to be able to safely jack up the beast and make it safe to work under.  At that point I'll look for the actual leak and may scream for help!  I appreciate your offer and will undoubtedly take you up on it when I recover from Christmas and am able to buy stuff again.  If you are working on your coach and need some inexperienced but eager hands give me a call.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
I made up some 2x6/plywood ramps that will raise get the back tires 7 inches off the ground. If that's enough height for you, you are welcome to borrow them. I also have two 20T jackstands and a 20T hydraulic bottle jack I can loan you if needed.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
I'll get with you!  Probably after New Year.  Thanks again.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »
Jerry,  did you get your slide issue resolved? 
The reason I ask is my coach began doing the same thing, driver's side front slide inching out as I drive. 

There was a hydraulic leak from the slide cylinder.  I had the cylinder reworked.  The cylinder no longer leaks.  But now the slide creeps out while I drive. 
The tech, having worked on the cylinder, is aware of the hose connection to the slide cylinder.

Curious if you found the solenoid/manifold to the slide cylinder.  Did you replace your hydraulic line?

Thanks!
Paul
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 03:45:41 AM »
Jerry,  did you get your slide issue resolved? 
The reason I ask is my coach began doing the same thing, driver's side front slide inching out as I drive. 

There was a hydraulic leak from the slide cylinder.  I had the cylinder reworked.  The cylinder no longer leaks.  But now the slide creeps out while I drive. 
The tech, having worked on the cylinder, is aware of the hose connection to the slide cylinder.

Curious if you found the solenoid/manifold to the slide cylinder.  Did you replace your hydraulic line?

Thanks!
Paul
Paul I gave up and called Pirtek, a Nationwide hydraulic mobile service, at Fred's suggestion.  A very friendly tech came to my house and spent about 6 or so hours figuring where all the hoses went to.  I was lucky.  I told him to replace all 4 hoses but the one on the rear of the hydraulic cylinder on the drivers side went through the frame rail and butted up against the water tank.  He could not replace it.  The reason I say I got lucky is because it was the other hose to the drivers slide that was leaking.  The leak was above the rear axle.  So, 3 new hoses and 1100 dollars later, the slide was again operable and not coming out when driving.  I never figured out where all the connections were.  He did though.  Good luck, wish I had better news for you.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Paul Meehan