Author Topic: Midland Grau air dryer.  (Read 8098 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Midland Grau air dryer.
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:01:26 AM »
I need to service my Midland Grau air dryer. If anyone can tell me what I need it would be most appreciated.
I have a 2000 Beaver Marquis Amethyst with a C12 455hp Cat engine.  
I have also noticed a fair amount of oil on the large hoses clipped to the air dryer mounting base. These hoses appear to have chaffed on the mount. They run from near the engine filter bay up the passenger side of the engine. Could they be hydraulic hoses?  
Thanks, Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:47:54 AM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Midland Grau air dryer.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
You will need to replace the deccident filter, which is the large screw on filter on top and inside is a smaller foal coalescing filter that will also need to be replaced. It is a simple job, if you have access to the top. On ours we had to remove the assembly to service it. Be sure it is clean, and it is easier to keep clean and clean the top on the bench.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:10:52 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »
Jeremy,
You did not say why you thought that your air dryer needed service. If you are going to service it as a preventive maintenance, the filters that Richard mentioned above will be all that you need, and it is a fairly simple and straightforward procedure. However, if your dryer is malfunctioning, like the purge valve is leaking or it will not purge when the compressor unloads, you will have a more complicated repair that changing the filters alone will not fix.

The service intervals that are listed in most owner's manuals for this air dryer are way to frequent for the service that we (Beaver coach owners) use them for, in my opinion. They were designed for trucks that drive 300,000 miles a year, not the 5,000 to 15,000 miles that we put on them. So what I am saying is that you should be conscious of this in servicing the filter, as over servicing the dryer is a waste of time and money. If a coach is operated primarily in a high humidity area, such as Florida, the dryer will probably need to be serviced once or maybe twice in the life of the coach. Where a coach that is operated in Nevada and Arizona will probably never need the dryer serviced.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:58:54 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:02:12 AM »
Thank you both for the input. The dryer is working fine; I just don't know when it was last serviced, if ever.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:20:34 AM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
beavermarquis,  If the dryer starts frequent cycling (several times a minute)  then it is time to service. We had one cycling every 20 seconds or less, and the dryer manufacturer said to service after we got back from a 2000 mile trip, as it wound not hurt anything.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:35:19 PM by 14 »