Author Topic: Electronic Stuff  (Read 2189 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Electronic Stuff
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »
Just got this coach a few weeks ago and still wondering about all the video and audio stuff in it. There is also a satellite dish on top that is obviously not self tracking and does not seem to be operational. I am sure all this stuff is original from 2002. Have you guys yanked this older stuff out and put in newer stuff or do you continue to make it work?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Steve Funk

Re: Electronic Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:30:19 AM »
06 Monterrey

Ripped it all out.  Added a Dish Traveler 1000 satellite, 43" 4K TV up front, Visio Sound Bar with sub woofer, Flat screen in bedroom can't remember size 32" I think.  Added a Winegard HD to the batwing antenna.  In my opinion it was all good upgrades. 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »
Fred
We had the 02 Marquis which came originally (I believe) with the Motosat satellite dish.  There are some folks still using those somehow but most have upgraded because satellite systems and TVs have improved so much since 2002.
What satellite service do you use and is it in your home as well?  We have Dish and just the one account for home and RV.  Direct doesn't seem so RV friendly in my opinion.
We have the Weingard Traveller for our satellite dish and once we have power we just push one button and the system finds the satellites.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
Our coach has a R. F. Mogul Eagle III self-seeking satellite dish on the roof.  Push two buttons and it's aimed and ready in a few minutes - about $2k not including installation.  We also have the DISH Gold subscription on one account for our house and coach.  As we move from region to region, we call DISH to have our account reprogrammed for the new local channels - usually one quick phone call, give the new location's zip code, and five minutes later we have the new channels available - about $140 per month.  In the coach we have a DISH 722k receiver which services two flat screen TVs - a large SONY Bravia in the living room and a smaller Samsung in the bedroom.  I want to upgrade the house and coach to the DISH Hopper and Joey receiver systems, but I need to do more research before pulling the trigger.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »
We had DirecTV at home and on the Winegard Trav'ler Dish. Recently ditched DirecTV at home and converted the satellite in the coach to DISH and signed up for the pay-as-you go plan. Working well so far. Our coach came with a dome type satellite with old Sony electronics and a rats nest of cables and wires. Dumped it all out, still use the surround speakers. Now the cabinet above the windshield has three items. The DISH receiver, the Winegard box to position the satellite, and a blu-ray player. 40" Samsung LED TV. No TV in the bedroom, there are better things to do there. :)

And we got rid of the batwing OTA antenna and replaced it with an automatic HD one.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
   Hi Fred,
  Cut to the chase and upgrade your sat system to current technology. The most user friendly is Dish network who actually like RV people. Winegard Dish travler 1000 is the best IMHO. Call Dish and turn off your receiver when not in transit. I use it all over the country with no hiccups. If it is in your budget you can add a 40" tv up front and tie it into your existing audio equiptment.
 Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
   Hi Fred,
  Cut to the chase and upgrade your sat system to current technology. The most user friendly is Dish network who actually like RV people. Winegard Dish travler 1000 is the best IMHO. Call Dish and turn off your receiver when not in transit. I use it all over the country with no hiccups. If it is in your budget you can add a 40" tv up front and tie it into your existing audio equiptment.
 Regards, Fred
Thanks Fred. I kept my Winegard G2 satellite from my older coach I just sold. It has worked really well so I plan to mount it on the Beaver.  Also, I just put 32 inch LED TV upfront with an articulating arm. I am still scratching my head on how to get that old satellite dish off my roof. I don’t see any bolts holding it down. OBTW,  my wife’s name is Cindy too. What a coincidence, another Fred and Cindy out there.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 02:32:16 AM »
I'm with Fred go with Dish, I take our Dish Hopper and Joey's from the house in the PT when we travel. Works great and we have been all over the country from Cali to Maine and Canada. To change locations for the local channels just go on line to Dish/chat and they will change the zip code real quick.