Author Topic: What are these items I found under the dash board cover that comes off?  (Read 2752 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Attempting to see how the Aladdin was connected to the Sony screen on the dash, I took the cover off the top of the dash-board that is between the steering wheel and the windshield. I found some things that I wonder exactly what they are, and their purpose.

The first picture is a wide view with the cover off.
The second picture is what looks like the ports for reading the ECM, that are in the battery bay. Are they the same? For the same purpose?
The third picture is a button that looks similar to the one in the side panel next to the passenger seat, that is used for re-setting the codes for the power door and bay locks. What is this one for?
The fourth picture is a blinking red light. Both it, and the button described in picture three are connected to a black box, shown in picture 5. What is that box for, and what is the blinking red light indicating?

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

Re: What are these items I found under the dash board cover that comes off?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
That second picture is the diagnostic connector for the engine. The engine (ECM) diagnostic plug is on the left and the VORAD (if equipped) is on the right.
There are two buttons under the connectors. On the left side is the "ABS" test switch and the right side is the "TAG" button (if equipped with Tag axle).

The other connector is for the Allison transmission diagnostic plug. I think. Not 100% sure about that one. It's in the right palce and shape looks pretty close to the picture in my manual. Is there a place to plug in something?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:54:18 PM by Mike Shumack »

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

The other connector is for the Allison transmission diagnostic plug. I think. Not 100% sure about that one. It's in the right palce and shape looks pretty close to the picture in my manual. Is there a place to plug in something?

Thanks for confirming about the ECM port. The one on the left looks just like the one in the battery bay. I'm pretty sure I don't have VORAD. What is "the other connector" you mention above? Are you talking about the black button in picture 2, below the 'NORAD' port?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:11:48 PM »
I was thinking that black box thing was the Allsion diagnostic plug - based on its proximity to the engine diagnostic connector and the picture in the Owner's manual.
It's hard to tell if your plug/box is the Allison plug shown in the manual - it looks like it is the Allison plug just with the opening (part diagnostic cable plugs into) is facing toward windshield in the photo.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:34:43 PM by Mike Shumack »