Author Topic: Heater hose replacement  (Read 2635 times)

Ken Ingram

Heater hose replacement
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »
I will soon have to replace the heater hoses that run from the engine to the heater core at the front of the coach.  I can see that they run through a tunnel, from the front of the engine compartment to an opening under the drivers seat area above the left frame rail.  In the areas I can see, they are secured to electrical wiring along their run, with cable ties.  If the hoses are secured with cable ties in the tunnel, where I can't see, I think I'm in trouble because I won't be able to cut the cable ties.  Has anyone who has tackled this job offer suggestions?  1996 Monterey 30'.  Thanks. 

Gerald Farris

Re: Heater hose replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
Ken,
The best way to replace the heater hoses is to just leave the old hoses in place and run the new hoses along the same passageway and secure them where you can reach.

Gerald

Ken Ingram

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:06 PM »
Thank you for the reply Gerald.  After closer inspection there appears to be just enough room above the existing hoses and wires to do just that.  Thanks for the advice.

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »
You might want to add brass shut off valves close to the engine so you can close them if you get a leak in the heater system.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
I hope it is okay to add to this thread - rather than start a new one. This is the only "heater hose replacement" thread I could find using the search feature.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I plan to replace the original coolant in my '05 Patriot with CAT Extended Life (OAT) coolant. Since I will be draining the system, this seems like a good time to replace the 12 year-old heater hoses. Do you agree?  I don't think these heater hoses were intended to last 12 - 15 years.

My coach is 42ft long (it's probably 35 ft from back of engine to front of coach, plus up to dash), so it would seem that I would need about 75 feet of heater hose. Does this sound right?

Also what size is it (5/8" or 3/4", or something else)? I can/will measure the hose myself, but sitting here at my computer now, it is easier to just ask.

I am going to use the Gates "Green Stripe" hose (which is $3.39/ft) rather than the standard red hose (Gates Firewall hose) which is $1.49/ft. The Green Stripe is their premium line and has a higher working pressure and is more abrasion resistant than the red. This is probably going to be the last time this hose ever gets changed.

UPDATE:
I found some info on replacing the hoses on a Monaco Dynasty (probably similar to the Beaver) http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mods-upgrades-to-our-2003-dynasty-237276-28.html (starting around post 370 on page 27 of the thread). If I understand what the OP is saying correctly, on the Monaco, the heater lines over the storage compartments are steel tube (which should not need replacement) and only at the engine and dash ends are rubber hoses.

But the Aqua-Hot engine pre-heater has flexible heater hose all the way - so that is the challenge.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:09:54 PM by Mike Shumack »