Author Topic: Bose inoperative  (Read 7942 times)

Keith Cooper

Bose inoperative
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:16:37 AM »
This must be stero ignorance on my part.  All of a sudden I am unable to get any audio working in the coach.  I located the Bose power amp driving the speakers.  It is in the first cabinet, just aft of the entry door.  Removed the panel hiding the heat sync and verified there is power to the GCFI circuit providing AC.  Is there something I am overlooking here or will I need to locate a shop to determine which portion of the home entertainment center has failed?  Verified both the speaker switch is on, as well as the home entertainment unit.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:52:24 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Bose inoperative
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:35:25 AM »
Keith,
You did not say what model coach you have, but on most years of Bose units there is a 2 amp glass Buss fuse inside the unit that fails. You will need to disconnect all power and remove the unit cover to replace the fuse.

I think that there are two fuses in the unit, but usually only one fails. You will probably need to go to Radio Shack to find a replacement fuse if it is bad. The fuse may not be your problem, but it was a common problem in coaches in the late 90's through the early 2000's.

Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:51:13 AM »
Our fuse blew also.  To replace it you only need to remove the 2 screws holding the cover.  All the wires on the sides are connected to the base of the unit, not the cover.  It was not as bad as I thought it would be.  Bose will not sell the fuse to customers, but will replace it for you, if you send in the unit.  They only charge about $260 for the service.  Take the bad fuse to Radio Shack as Gerald suggested.  Their price is a lot less.

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
Keith,

There is a unit that interfaces all of the low level inputs and it has a heavy plug in power supply. I think you might be referring to that unit as the power amp, which it may also contain, although I did not see any speaker wires coming out of mine. In my coach that plug in supply has fallen out of the outlet due to road vibration. This unit does reside in the overhead cabinet aft of the door. Thought I would mention it just in case there is another Bose "module" involved with another power supply that might have fallen out. I tie wrapped mine to the outlet faceplate to resolve that issue.

Just to clarify, what does the box look like that contains the fuse that fails?

later Ed

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:21:15 AM »
We had something similar.  Had to remove the amp, taking it off the wall.  On the backside of the amp should be a 3 amp automotive fuse.  That might be the problem.  Good hunting!

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
Ed,

In my coach the amplifier is located forward of the passenger seat, behind the firewall cover.  It is about 8 inches wide, one foot tall and 2 inches thick with cooling fins along the entire front surface.  

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:09:23 AM »
Larry,

I have not been into that compartment and I may have the same arrangement. Have to get in there sometime.

In my coach there was a DVD player and satellite receiver installed in the overhead compartment behind the passenger seat. Within that compartment a Bose component was installed that had all the RCA connector low level inputs and multi pin connectors that interfaced to other Bose units in the system. On a vertical wall in the cabinet was a wall outlet and the power supply that is molded with a plug on the back was heavy enough to fall out of a vertical outlet on the rear wall while traveling. It was easily dislodged due to the weight. Bose I'm sure, never intended this home unit to be mobile with that power plug on a vertical wall. If you have not found that unit yet, there may be a chance that you have the same problem that mine did which results in a dead unit. This unit is maybe 4 inches by 4 inches by 8 inches. Good luck on this, hope it is something simple.

later Ed

Keith Cooper

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
Sorry for the slow response I have been unable to access the internet for the last 10 days. The motorhome is a 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder (40') and the Bose system is a Lifestyle 20 music system. The two components which appear to be the most likely candidate are the music center or the Buil-invisible unit.
I have removed the music center and it doesnt appear to have any screws at all and I am unable to disassemble the unit. Must be missing something.
The second unit is the the Built-invisible box (power amp) and again I must be missing something found no fuse

Keith Cooper

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
Here are pictures of the two components I suspect

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:10:20 AM »
On the lower picture,

Remove from wall and you will find an automotive fuse in the back.  It is either a 2 or 3 amp glass fuse.  Replace it and if that is the problem, life will be good!

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:12 AM »
In the lower picture, that unit should have been mounted with the fins going vertical, so the heat rises away from the unit.  The gold colored, finned aluminum cover is removable without removing the unit from the wall.  As I recall, the domed top nut holds it in place.  Under the cover is a fuse that may need replacing.  
For help from the Bose people, the phone number for the Invisable Built-In system is 1-800-996-2673.

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
Kieth,

New info.....I just found out that this multi room interface (Bose terminology) is used in the Lifestyle 40 and 50 systems so it is not an issue to worry about for the Lifestyle 20 and 30 type systems.

It would appear that there are multiple configuration possibilities with Bose systems in that era. I have a Lifestyle 50 (I was mistaken and thought that it was a 30) and yours is a 20 but they look the same and use the same bass module and main player unit best I can tell. I have not been into the main power amp enclosure but I assume that these systems share the same technology.

The unit that I am posting, that I had my problem with, is apparently a preamp interface that accepts signals from the main unit as well as low level inputs from various components. It is remotely mounted from all of the other Bose components and resides hidden in a cabinet that houses other audio/video components like a DVD and Sat receiver in my coach. It is the "black box" in the upper left of this photo.

This post is in the off chance that you or anyone else has a Bose system that has failed and needs to find the source of the problem and does not know that this box exists as part of their system. My case was simple in that the power supply fell out of the outlet but the problem was obscure and hidden behind screwed in panels and other components. If you have other components not near the Bose main unit then I thought that there is a remote chance that they could have used one of these interface modules. Hope it is just a fuse and that this problem is all behind you.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:23:20 PM by 910 »