Author Topic: Ceiling Fan in bedroom - anyone have one?  (Read 4168 times)

Mike Shumack

Ceiling Fan in bedroom - anyone have one?
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
I'm not sure if Beaver ever offered a ceiling fan for the bedroom in their coaches - as some of the other manufactures have.

Is it possible to add one?
If it is possible, is there a specific brand that is made for RVs (i.e. light weight and low profile)?

How would one determine if their is sufficient support in the ceiling (unless the coach was offered with a fan option)?

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Ceiling Fan in bedroom - anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
Mike,
I don't know what floor plan you have, but if you have large panels in the bedroom and living room, I do not recommend you attach a ceiling fan to it.  You may or may not have hinges on that panel to help clean the AC filters.  If not, be aware that to clean the AC filters you have to remove that panel and it is attached on 4 "J" hooks.  Adding weight to it is certainly unwise in my opinion, especially since while travelling, that panel has fallen (Pulled out of the ceiling) once while we were on some very rough roads.  We were going slow when it fell.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
Good Advise. Thanks.
My wife saw some other coaches while we were shopping for our current Beaver (i.e. American Coach - Tradition) that had the bedroom ceiling fan, and she liked it - so I thought I'd ask.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »
My 2003 has a factory ceiling fan in the bedroom.  It is off center towards the foot of the bed when the slide is extended.  You have to be careful not to hit it with your hands if putting on an overhead shirt, etc.  It only works with the remote control.  There is no wall switch.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
Chuck, do you have any of the "wood trim" in the center portion of the ceiling? I think that is what Roy is referring to.
If so, can you provide a photo of what you have (where/how the fan attaches)?

I have the Vicksburg model. I believe in 2004 and up Beaver increased the interior headroom.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:58:28 PM by Mike Shumack »

Brad Barnes

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:13 AM »
Our 2009 Beaver Contessa has a fan in the bedroom that came stock. We have a wall switch that allows you to choose high, low, or off speeds. I can send pictures if that would be helpful.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Ours does too.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
Do you have the wood trim work on the ceiling - like this?

If so, I would think the fan must be mounted in the center of the trim work.  I'm not sure how that panel/wood is held up or even if it is strong enough to hold a fan. That's why I'm asking.

Can you tell what model/brand ceiling fan was used in your coach?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:57:46 PM by Mike Shumack »

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
Mike,
Again I will tell you that if you look above the panel, you will see to metal bars attached to the ceiling on both sides (and near the ends) of this panel.  Mine was built with "J" hooks, but later some of the "J" hooks were changed so that they were hinges.  In order to clean the AC filter, you need to take this panel down to get to the filter.  On mine, it took 3 people because you had to hold the panel up to release the tension on the screws to remove the screws so it could be removed to get to the filters.  Later we added a slatted vent panel in the middle of this large panel to be able to clean the AC filter without removing the big panel.  You have the same thing up front, but held up with 6 "J" hooks.  We added the same type vent panel in the front also.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32:02 AM »
I have not forgotten Roy. BTW - thanks for explaining about cleaning the vent. The manual doesn't mention this, and I there is no info on the panel attachment.
Just curious how the other coaches have their ceiling fans attached.
Either that panel can hold the weight or they have a different ceiling setup.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:33:47 AM by Mike Shumack »

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:13 AM »
Most have a different ceiling and don't have that panel.  The ones that have the panel, don't have ceiling fans.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13