Author Topic: Operating with a 30 amp supply  (Read 2186 times)

Bill Staley

Operating with a 30 amp supply
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
We are looking to attend a rally where there is only 30 amp service available.  In our previous coach, I could just open the breaker to one of the a/c compressors and the coach worked fine.  In our PT, with 3 a/c units and everything else electric, I don't think it is quite that simple.  I'm sure others have dealt with this.  Will appreciate suggestions on what adjustments others have done in this situation. 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Operating with a 30 amp supply
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
You can run one air conditioner with a few other electrical devices operating, but probably not including the AquaHot electric water heating element (put the AquaHot on diesel), not the convection/microwave, not a hair dryer, not an induction cooktop, etc.  We use a 30 amp portable generator when dry camping.  You just have to have a good idea of the power usage for each device and don't turn on multiple devices whose collective power consumption will exceed much over 25 amps.  Our Norcold fridge draws about 3.6 amps on AC, but very little on 12v.  As an example, we usually put the fridge on propane (12v is used) during the day and change it to AC (120v) overnight because during the day you might want to be cooking or running one air conditioner.

Watch the total amps on the two legs and don't let that number get much above 25 amps.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:30:57 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

George Morlan

• BAC Member
Re: Operating with a 30 amp supply
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
Our experience is similar.  We run only one air conditioner.  We turn the AquaHot off, but put it on electric overnight if we won't be running the AC; this gives us enough water for two showers in the morning.  We turn the diesel on when we need hot water at other times.  We have a residential refrigerator and have not needed to change our routine for 30-amp situations since we installed it two years ago.  We are careful with the use of heat-generating appliances (toaster, hair dryer) and don't run the microwave/convection oven when the AC is on.

We have found that having only 30-amp service is no big deal unless it is really hot.  It's just an inconvenience having to think a bit before using an appliance.