Author Topic: Ice Build Up on Norcold interior fins  (Read 5033 times)

Bill Sprague

Ice Build Up on Norcold interior fins
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »
My Norcold 1200 has an ice build up on the right side of the cooling fins.  There is a wire running into the ice that I thought was a thermister that is supposed to stop the ice build up.

It has not done this in six years of ownership.  

Suggestions?  Experience?

Thanks.

Bill

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Re: Ice Build Up on Norcold interior fins
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:21 AM »
Bill, has the same problem on ours. Called them and it was determined ours was no longer working properly. Ours was under warranty and they promptly sent a new one. Suggest a phone call to them and explain the symptoms.

Ken Sair
2007 Beaver Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »
Mine recently did the same.  I thought it was normal as I was trying to use the heatpump when I shouldn't.  The outside temperature got down to 29 degrees, so the heat pump wasn't effective.  I have no idea why I didn't use the HydroHot.  Lesson learned and I'll only use the HydrHot in the future.  It's quieter anyway!  I just hope I didn't damage the unit.  It seemed to work fine when I tried it later in the day when the outside temperture was above 40 degrees.

Gil

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »
[quote author=]Mine recently did the same.  I thought it was normal as I was trying to use the heatpump when I shouldn't.  The outside temperature got down to 29 degrees, so the heat pump wasn't effective.  I have no idea why I didn't use the HydroHot.  Lesson learned and I'll only use the HydrHot in the future.  It's quieter anyway!  I just hope I didn't damage the unit.  It seemed to work fine when I tried it later in the day when the outside temperture was above 40 degrees.

Gil[/quote]

Gil,

Forgive me for laughing a little.  My Norcold 1200 is my refrigerator, not my Duotherm heatpump!

Having said that, I've frozen my heatpumps up a few times too.  It does not do damage.  When our Beaver was new I complained thinking there was something wrong with the heat pumps.  My dealer suggested I run them with the fan on high to improve air flow over the fins.  And, yes, it seems to work better.  

Bill

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »
Duh!  I too got some laughter from my mistake.

Happy New Year!

Gil